About the teamWe believe that delivering excellent features quickly comes from a high quality bar, and reducing the blast radius of bad changes.
The Monitoring Platform Team owns developing a monitoring platform used across Zillow, capable of identifying bad changes within 5 minutes of release. We extend this platform by providing analytics on monitor health, correlating with changes of other services, and intelligent alerting on failures.
We develop many tools in-house, but adopt third-party tools as well. We have also begun the process of open sourcing our own tools, with a target of releasing as many to the public as is viable
About the role
Are you a software engineer who has a passion for quality? Do you believe that the best companies make decisions with data? Are you interested in becoming a leader, guiding engineers across the organization on the best way to utilize systems that consume millions of metrics a day, and analyze the results? If so, you would fit right in on the Monitoring Development Team at Zillow.
As a Software Development Engineer on the team:
* You design some of the highest-traffic systems at Zillow, scaling to thousands of requests per second.
* You contribute to the long term technology and product vision for the team
* You provide guidance to other product teams on how to integrate with our infrastructure, and understand the data
* You provide technical mentorship and leadership to others
Our projects include:
* Our test and monitoring framework, alarming on metrics and executing thousands of tests per seconds
* Our operational event tracking system, exposing operational changes
* Our monitor stability analyzer, helping teams understand what monitors are a poor indicator of feature health
* Our monitor failure correlation system, capable of determining if a monitor is failing due to an upstream service failure
Who you are
You are a leader. You have the ability to drive a project home single-handed, but know that real change can only happen as a team. You know how to make technology scale: building well tested systems, design them to be horizontally scalable, and easy for others to contribute back. You believe in community: whether that's participating in open source projects, or joining in on a conversation improving an internal tool or process.
* You have earned a BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
* You have 3+ years of software development experience
* You have built high traffic web services, and solving scaling challenges is preferred
* You have experience with database design, designing for situations requiring high read rate and/or write rate, or both.
* Preferred: proficiency in a dynamic language, such as Python or Ruby
* Preferred: experience with a document store, such as MongoDB or DynamoDB
Get to know usZillow is the leading real estate and rental marketplace dedicated to empowering consumers with data, inspiration and knowledge around the place they call home, and connecting them with the best local professionals who can help. Zillow is part of Zillow Group, whose mission is to build the largest, most trusted and vibrant home-related marketplace in the world.
At Zillow Group, we're powered by our inclusive work culture, where everyone has the support and resources to do the best work of their careers. Our efforts to streamline the real estate transaction is supported by our passion to empower people and enrich lives around everything home, a deep-rooted culture of innovation, a fundamental commitment to Equity and Belonging, and world-class benefits. But, don't just take our word for it. Read our reviews on Glassdoor and recent recognition from multiple organizations, including: Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For (#69), Fortune Best Workplaces for Diversity (#38), Fortune Best Workplaces for Parents (#31), Fortune Best Workplaces for Women (#20), Fatherly's Best Workplaces for New Dads (#37), JUST Capital 100 Company (#69), Bloomberg Gender Equality Index constituent.
Zillow Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Zillow is a company providing an online real estate marketplace for finding and sharing information about homes, real estate, and mortgages.