Newell Brands Connected Home and Security division works on simple, cutting edge, high-volume, low cost consumer electronics. It's an intense, fast-paced, results oriented division. It's an organization in which engineers take pride in utilizing their skills towards protecting families and what matters most, alongside adding more meaningful interactions with our devices and people's daily lives. If you are highly motivated, committed to quality, consumer satisfaction and continuous improvement and have a passion for achieving great results - we want you on our side!
We are looking for highly motivated, hands-on Software Architect to augment our Engineering organization as we build the next generation of connected smart home IOT products. You will be a technical go-to person for a collaborative engineering team to architect and continuously improve our connected products from concept ideation to development to mass production. The nature of the position requires the candidate to have excellent communication skills, strong technical and debugging skills, along with a drive to make a difference.
* Translate business/marketing requirements into highly scalable and high performance architectures and software designs incorporating the latest innovations in technologies.
* Drive requirements gathering and analysis activities such as developing use cases and creating functional requirements specifications for new products and features
* Closely interact with product management, hardware engineering, software development, test, customer support, and factory.
* Work directly with software development on the most challenging issues
* Interface with external technology partners
* Evaluate third-party software offerings and development kits to make recommendations and drive integration. Participate in RFQ/RFP process. Support prototyping and trystorming activities.
* Actively identify and execute tasks in feasibility stages for new product development
* Oversee architecture and design proposals being generated internally and by external teams to ensure technical completeness, correctness, and alignment with company goals
* Create feature specification and technical design documentation
* Design and scope/estimate development tasks. Practice and preach software development best practices
* Agressively manage technical debt. Identifies areas of systematic failures or inefficiencies for improvement and proposes concrete targeted solutions. Be an advocate for end consumer
* Review development deliverables to ensure architectural correctness
* Travel required: up to 10% domestic only.
* 10+ years embedded software development experience with commercial SoC products for high volume, high quality consumer electronics products (covering App, Cloud and Embedded software). 5+ years experience in software design
* Deep understanding of software engineering principles and strong software architecture.
* Experience integrating hardware, operating systems and software applications
* Extensive experience and expertise in the full life cycle development of software and systems
* Ability to ramp up quickly on both new technologies and existing technologies.
* Highly focused, with the ability to deliver solid work on tight schedules.
* Ability to design the low level details with a constant view of the big picture
* Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
* Excellent analytical, programming and debugging skills. Thought leader.
* Strong experience with Linux configuration, device driver integration, C, C++, scripting languages, IP, Wireless communication protocols
* AWS IOT, BLE, WiFi, MQTT, RESTful API, low power or battery operated devices, SoC bring-up, and bare-metal programming a plus
* BS electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or equivalent (MS highly preferred).
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
About Newell Brands
Newell Brands designs, sources, and distributes consumer and commercial products worldwide.