Position Title: Technical Program Manager
Location: Aurora, IL
The First Alert Program Management team is looking for a world-class, highly motivated, hands-on Technical Program Manager to drive multiple initiatives: this includes mechanical, electrical, software, testing, firmware, regulatory compliance, and include (but not limited to) IOT connected devices. The ideal candidate will understand the who, what, and how of software and/or system development and will own the execution of the program schedule. You will foresee engineering schedules from concept ideation to development. The initiatives you will be facilitating are high revenue generating products for the organization.
As a Technical Program Manager you will be responsible for setting up the program and sub-projects, incorporating Agile/Scrum practices where appropriate, following their progress, and facilitating the closure of issues as they are escalated to the program level. You will coordinate efforts amongst the various sub-projects, and outside vendors, as well as develop effective schedules and suggest action items that need to be completed to successfully complete the overall program. The program manager will propose solutions to technical constraints using their technical expertise and experience, as well as provide expertise for escalated quality problems, and anticipate bottlenecks in the development cycle. Additionally, the program manager will identify technical impacts on the organization as they relate to business requirements. The program manager will own documentation and tracking of all programs including definition and execution to stage gate process management, regular cadence of meetings/reviews, reporting, program metrics, and countermeasures. The candidate will be comfortable communicating at all levels of the organization in managing conflict, removing obstacles, driving progress, and accountability.
* Facilitate project and/or scrum/stand- up calls
* Work with a cross functional team to manage programs from concept to commercial execution.
* Coordinates closely with project stakeholders and cross-functional teams to document project scope and objectives.
* Create schedule, identify critical path, and maintain throughout execution.
* Demonstrate quick decision-making abilities based on available data.
* Bring creative ideas to keep project schedule on track
* Coordinates with multi-disciplinary functions within the organization to maintain and track multiple parallel projects to plan.
* Manages project and product definition activities related to marketing and/or technical requirements.
* Work with the project team to define, assess and mitigate risks that have a major impact on project cost, schedule, investment and technology.
* Execute programs within scope, time and budget.
* Document project activities, issues, concerns and status to keep management informed and enable timely resolution of project problems.
* Manages new product development and introductions of electrical, mechanical, software, and firmware products.
* Provides periodic program updates (Program Status Report - Green/Yellow/Red) of current situation relating to contractual milestones and problem/high risk areas (e.g., technical, cost, and schedule
* Financial acumen to complete required capital appropriation request for the assigned programs.
* Works in cross-disciplinary manner with other departments (e.g., Manufacturing, Marketing, Procurement, Customer Support, Suppliers, etc.) and facilitates the stage gate processes.
* Travel required: up to 25% domestic. Occasional international travel may be needed
* A minimum of 5 years of experience in program management or engineering team management of new mechanical, electrical, and software product development and market introductions.
* 2+ years' experience managing agile software projects across multiple and geographically distributed teams
* Proficient with project/program management tools such as MS Project and other bug tracking applications
* Knowledge of best practices in software development methodologies, processes, and technologies
* Strong leader with excellent communication, organizational and people skills and the ability to work across functional groups
* Proven track record of managing new product development projects
* BA/BS degree
* Language skills: Mandarin, Simplified Chinese a plus
* Prior experience in hands on software development is a big plus
* Experience working with third party consultants and partners
* Experience with factory manufacturing high volume, high quality consumer electronics
* PMP and/or CSM a plus
* Experience working with geographically dispersed engineering and business teams
* Experience with Agile project management methodologies
* Experience with Atlassian tool suit or similar system to track development progress and interact with the team.
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
About Newell Brands
Newell Brands is a company that designs, sources, and distributes consumer and commercial products worldwide.