University of Southern California
ICT is seeking a Systems Administrator IV with an advanced level understanding and experience with systems administration, networking, system virtualization, cloud computing, backups, Linux OS, mac OS, network storage, load balancer, and associated hardware platforms to join its IT department, working in a dynamic, fast-paced and complex heterogeneous technical environment.
This position will maintain, upgrade, and provide support for the Institute's back-end systems and networks. The Systems Administrator IV needs to be able to diagnose and resolve problems quickly, should be able to communicate technical concerns and solutions to many different people with varying degrees of technical knowledge as well as work with individuals in all departments to help solve their technical issues. This individual is also responsible for support and governance of cloud computing at the institute. He/she needs to be able to lead IT projects from inception to completion with little supervision. This position will serve as a mentor to junior system administrators and there will be infrequent Helpdesk tasks as needed.
Preferred Field of Expertise:
7 or more years of demonstrated IT experience. Working knowledge of Linux computer systems architecture, administration and configuration. Working knowledge of network switches, firewalls, wireless access points and network load balancers. Knowledge of heterogeneous networked environments consisting of Linux, Windows, and Apple systems. Experience with Security Assessment tools (NMAP, Nessus, Rapid7) and Security Frameworks. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional organizational skills to balance work and lead projects. Strong, professional written and verbal communication skills.
* 7 years of advanced level Linux system administration experience
* 3 years of advanced level cloud computing experience
* 5 years of advanced level Windows system administration experience
* 5 years of advanced level VMware virtualization administration experience
* A strong network architecture and management background that includes network switches, firewalls, wireless access points and network load balancers
* Ability to design, build, and manage all aspects of an information technology infrastructure
* Exceptional organizational skills to balance work and lead projects
* Strong written and oral communication skills
* Linux advance level administration experience
* Cloud computing advance level experience AWS, Azure, CloudCheckr, Google Cloud Computing, O365
* Advance level networking experience, Fortinet, Arista, F5, AVI load balancer
* Enterprise storage management experience (NetApp, EMC, Tegile)
* Compliance and Governance understanding (PCI, PII, HIPAA, DFARS)
* Familiarity with Security Assessment Tools and Security Frameworks (NIST, ISO, NMAP, Nessus, Rapid7)
* VMware ESX administration experience
* Backup system architectures and management - Commvault experience preferable
* Wireless networking - Aruba experience preferable
* Working experience supporting LAMP, confluence, jira, trac, SVN
* Experience in architecting and supporting HPC system - SLURM
* Serves as a project leader for the customization and maintenance of a complex multi-platform system configuration.
* Provides leadership, guidance and direction to lower level staff.
* Provides analytical and technical expertise on system integration, installation, replacement and upgrades of servers and operating systems.
* Recommends changes to improve systems and network configurations and determines hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
* Oversees, maintains and administers computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
* Monitors systems, servers, and auxiliary devices for performance and security. Determines whether adjustments need to be made and confers with technical support staff and vendors as appropriate. Identifies changes that need to be made in the future.
* Leads troubleshooting; identifies hardware and software problems in a timely manner; resolves routine problems, replaces defective components and researches resources to identify solutions.
* Coordinates data backups, disaster recovery operations, repairs and/or recovery of systems.
* Designs, configures, and tests computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
* Assigns, modifies, and deletes user accounts and resolves security access problems; maintains integrity of the security system.
* Develops and maintains appropriate system documentation. Formulates standards for system management.
* Support and governance of cloud computing
* Works with vendors to maintain appropriate level of support.
* Consults with users on project requests or for problem resolution. Develops solutions, designs and specifications to satisfy user needs.
* Participates in development and documentation of internal operating policies and procedures. Assists in development and dissemination of policies and procedures for users. Provides interpretation as required.
* Plans, designs, and conducts specialized end user training for groups or individuals.
* Stays informed of new developments and technologies by reading journals and other pertinent publications, maintaining contact with vendors, and participating in professional organizations, meetings and seminars
* Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
ICT is a world leader in modeling and simulation, virtual human research, VR/AR, computer training simulations, computer graphics, and immersive experiences that improve decision making, leadership, and health. ICT employees are encouraged to develop themselves both professionally and personally, through workshops, invited guest talks, movie nights, social events, a private gym and a personal trainer. The atmosphere at ICT is informal and flexible, while also encouraging initiative, personal responsibility, and a strong work ethic. We put a premium on satisfaction in the workplace at ICT and encourage all associates to maintain a quality work-life balance. As part of the University of Southern California, ICT employees enjoy a range of great benefits, as well as the rich academic environment afforded by a highly-regarded research university. Employees can choose from a variety of exceptional medical and dental plans (as well as vision and long-term care), the USC Retirement Savings Program (where USC matches up to 5% of your total compensation and also makes an additional 5% contribution whether or not you contribute), educational benefits (100% FREE tuition at USC for you or your children and 50% payment for your spouse), paid time off (including Winter Recess and 9 PAID holidays), and many more! Please look at all the benefits offered to our full-time employees in full detail at http://benefits.usc.edu.
U.S. citizenship required. The position may require a security clearance. If so, the successful applicant must be eligible to obtain a security clearance at the time such clearance is required. Current details on security clearances can be found at: https://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Expert understanding and strong technical knowledge of and experience with systems administration, backups, operating systems programming languages and associated hardware platforms. Possesses the required knowledge to build, configure, load and restore a system from the ground up. Previous systems administration experience required.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Read USC's Clery Act Annual Security Report
Required Legal Notices
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser:
About University of Southern California
University of Southern California is a research university.
University of Southern California