Why Work at Grindr?
Since 2009, Grindr has built the world’s largest social network for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. Now more than just an app, we’re a family of lifestyle brands with the shared mission to connect LGBTQ people with the world around them:
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- INTO – A digital magazine dedicated to queer perspectives: news, culture, commentary, video, and more.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- Gaymoji – A one-of-a-kind collection of over 500+ stickers available on iOS, Android, and in the Grindr app.
- Slumbr – An event series for the high-minded partygoer, combining fashion, music, and art.
Behind the brands, Grindr is an inclusive and passionate family of thinkers, innovators, leaders, and most importantly, doers. We’re fueled by endless curiosity, constant collaboration, and a knack for crossing every finish line – all within an agile growth environment. We also enjoy tons of perks, great social events, and stunning views from our HQ in West Hollywood.
Grindr is a complex ecosystem of multiple technologies. The Senior Site Reliability Engineer is responsible for implementing automation solutions, maintaining and improving the Grindr technical operations ecosystem, and serving as a role model to junior team members. Solving challenges in distributed computing, high-performance computing and high-availability in runtime is a day-to-day theme. We are looking for a passionate technologist who enjoys complex problem-solving.
- Deployment and support of the full lifecycle of applications in Amazon Web Services
- Design, implement, document, and handle all aspects of Linux/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu
- Identify repetitive, manual tasks and automate them
- Develop effective tooling, alerts, and response to both identify and address reliability risks
- Participate in on-call rotation with other teams in the Performance and Reliability Teams (Pager Duty)
- Engage with product engineering teams to triage production outages and carry forward action items to improve ongoing reliability
- Evangelize cloud and DevOps-centric best practices to improve reliability and performance and cost-efficiency of our stack
- Evaluate advanced bleeding-edge technologies for our use
- Assist in after-hours deployments
- Work with the Development team in building and maintaining activities related to Java runtime and MySQL environments
- Provide technical leadership and mentor junior team members
- Help drive and support continued innovation at Grindr
- Build with quality and integrity
- BS degree in engineering or equivalent work experience and 5+ years of industry experience working in high volume, large-scale data networks
- A strong understanding of high-traffic, large-scale distributed systems and the ability to perform root cause analysis on stability and performance related events in such environments
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment systems and the ability to describe pros, cons, and pitfalls of the various solutions.
- High familiarity with Git and version control systems
- Experience with Linux systems; must understand how processes, users, groups, privileges and package managers work
- Hands on experience in backup and restore tools.
- Experience with automation and configuration management systems such as Puppet, Ansible, Salt, etc.
- Competency with PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Redis, Amazon Redshift
- Expert proficiency in UNIX scripting languages (Bash, Ruby, Python) and some experience with compiled languages (Go, Java, etc)
- Experience with configuration and troubleshooting of Linux, Java, Tomcat, and other middleware technologies
- Passion for resolving reliability issues and identify strategies to mitigate going forward
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (particularly AWS) a plus
- Strong Linux system-level analysis capabilities
- Passion for clear communication, especially prioritizing concerns to align with the team and business goals.
- Deep network analysis experience
- Experience with Terraform and Atlas
- Thorough understanding of low-level networking
- Experience with ElasticSearch and MySQL Aurora
- Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
Benefits & Perks
- 100% covered medical, dental and vision
- Generous Parental Leave
- Unlimited sick policy
- Competitive Salaries
- Catered daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
*Recruiting firms that submit resumes to Grindr without first entering into a written contract will not be entitled to any compensation on candidates referred by that firm.
Download Grindr, the #1 gay social network app free for iOS and Android. Over 2M+ daily active users in 192 countries. Chat, share photos, and meet up with guys near you.