PACCAR's Embedded Engineering department, which serves both Kenworth and Peterbilt, has an opening for a HMI Technical Artist. In this position, you will help lead the methodology for how PACCAR implements user interfaces for in-truck display systems. The role will have a fair degree of independent work and yet also need collaboration across multiple PACCAR facilities as the HMI expertise and industrial design talent is distributed vs. centrally located. Effective communication will be a critical skill, as you will need to communicate with remote design team members globally.
* Work with a Lead User Experience (UX) Director to implement user interface strategy and vision
* Work with Lead User Interface (UI) Directors from truck divisions to implement visual design
* Act as a bridge between UX/UI Designers and Software Developers
* Maintain graphical assets as directed by provided UX/UI designs or as vehicle functionality is developed
* Help establish user interface change management and implementation procedures for the company, and suggest associated infrastructure necessary for the development of in-vehicle display systems
* Ensure graphical assets can be easily integrated without sacrificing the artistic vision or exceeding the platform's technical limits
* Assist in the preparation of prototypes of test articles, which might include working closely with the usability test and software implementation teams
* Collaborate with the rest of the UX team, Industrial Design, Vehicle Integration Engineers, Software Engineering, Product Planning, and Program Managers and work well as part of a global team
* Stay abreast of HMI development trends and look for creative ideas/inspiration from parallel analogous worlds
* The position will require a fair amount of independent work and travel between multiple PACCAR locations is expected.
Experience / Desired Skills:
* 2+ years supporting development of effective HMI; ideally for in-vehicle applications
* Understanding of in-vehicle display technology, associated HMI, and the typical automotive product development lifecycle
* Good understanding of video game engines (example: Unity, Unreal Engine, etc.) because typical embedded displays need to be designed for very efficient graphics processing
* Strong working knowledge of real-time graphics rendering tools and techniques
* Experience or desire to learn about the heavy truck industry
* Experience with software development change control processes and source control tools
* Experience with working between UX/UI design and Engineering disciplines
* Working experience creating HMI with appropriate software tools for interface layouts including Illustrator, Photoshop, Rightware Kanzi etc
* Familiar with the use of 3D graphics software (examples: Maya, Blender, 3D Max, or Cinema4D)
* Proficiency in typical office applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Visio, etc.
* Ability to deal with a fluid and changing workflow based upon shifting priorities
* Ability to manage time wisely across projects and competing priorities, meet agreed upon deadlines, and being accountable for work
* Work portfolio desired that demonstrates systematic and creative design thinking as well as a deep understanding of HMI best practices.
* BA/BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent
Additional Internal Information
PACCAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segment: Engineer, Graphic Design, Embedded, Product Development, Computer Science, Engineering, Creative, Technology, Research
PACCAR is engaged in design, manufacture and customer support of premium light-, medium- and heavy-duty trucks under the Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF nameplates.