As a result of increased growth in our products and engineering organization, we are now seeking an Enterprise Architect to join our team. With more than 700 engineers working across a diverse cross-section of the Zendesk technology platform and product offering, there's plenty of interesting challenges to tackle! You'll enjoy working on web applications at global scale, upskilling teams and helping our efforts to find product-market fit. You'll work in close partnership with our Product and Engineering management to create measurable value for the customer, whether at the UX, performance or scalability level. You will also take a key role in representing the Zendesk engineering team on the global stage within our technical leadership community. You'll help guide technology choices across all aspects of Zendesk's development roadmap and evolving architecture. We value continuous delivery and automation of tests, infrastructure and anything else that is possible to automate! We like, and use, agile processes and believe that pragmatism always triumphs over dogmatism. Along with a macro to micro understanding of how tools and technologies can be used to build quality systems, you embrace the value of collaboration. You can communicate, cajole and convince with empathy and patience. While you won't have direct reports, there'll be ongoing opportunities to mentor across the wider Engineering team working with technical leaders at all levels.
What you get to do every day:
* Work with our Operations, Security, and Product Management teams to design and deliver high-quality products that exceed expectations.
* Provide key input on the technical roadmap, identifying components and possible issues that could impede the execution of plans. Work with Product Engineering teams to formulate creative solutions for tackling these issues before they become bottlenecks.
* Stay up-to-date with innovations and changes in the industry and within Zendesk.
* Make pragmatic, evidence-based recommendations on their applicability to our business.
* Provide expertise, influence, advice and mentorship to engineers at all levels. Support and develop technical leadership capabilities across our rapidly growing Engineering cohort.
* Ensure teams you collaborate with are delivering quickly, measuring impact and iterating to drive positive outcomes for customers.
* Actively contribute to the development of agreed standards and good practices.
What you bring to the role:
* You've been there and done it: working as a senior technical decision maker with a high data volume, globally available, web application.
* Experience with Ruby, Golang, AWS, or GCP (Google Cloud Platform) plus experience of Agile methodologies.
* You'll embrace the value of a team-first approach. Day to day coding won't be your bread and butter but you'll be a champion of collaboration and effective teamwork.
* You'll be able to clearly explain your views to others but just as importantly, actively listen and facilitate good discussions. You'll also ensure a summary of the discussion is documented and disseminated for the benefit of others.
* A desire to whiteboard problems with your peers and apply the scientific method to finding a pragmatic solution that is the best fit (on balance) for the identified problem space.
* Explain your views well to others but just as importantly, actively listen and facilitate good discussions.
* You'll also want to document and share a summary of the discussion for the benefit of others.
* A knowledge of or desire to learn about such tools as Kafka, AWS, GCP and automation at scale, as well as event streaming and processing in general.
* A dedication to continual self-development.
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth.
More than 100,000 paid customer accounts in over 150 countries and territories use Zendesk products. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Zendesk is a software development company, providing software-as-a-service products for organizations.