Founded in 1999, Dexcom, Inc. provides continuous glucose monitoring technology to help patients and their clinicians better manage diabetes. Since our inception, we have focused on better outcomes for patients, caregivers, and clinicians by delivering solutions for people with diabetes - while empowering our community to take control of diabetes.
Are you weary engineering products that have low impact on their users? Do you feel that you could craft wonderful solutions if you could innovate more? Would you like to see more of your engineering at work improving people's lives?
Dexcom is expanding through a growing reputation as the technology leader in diabetes management and patient satisfaction. We have become the standard bearer in the emerging digital health space. We're adding new staff who can further improve our innovative life-changing products.
The position is for an Director Engineering - Embedded Systems to spearhead the development, launch and field support of hardware and firmware for Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) medical devices. You will be responsible for driving innovation, establishing engineering goals and executing on those toward success.
You will lead the design, implementation and testing of embedded systems for body-worn products. You will also be responsible for managing the engineering support and sustaining activities of previously released products.
You will hire, develop, and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. You will identify and resolve issues related to schedule conflicts, project scope, risk assessment and resource availability.
FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION: Management
Responsible for directing and controlling the activities of a research or technical design function which is responsible for designing, developing, modifying, and evaluating electronic parts, components, or integrated circuitry for electronic equipment and other hardware systems. Evaluates final results of research and development projects to assure accomplishment of technical objectives. Prepares and presents reports outlining the outcome of technical projects and makes recommendations for actions necessary to achieve desired results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Implements the appropriate level of engineering process, rigor, and cross functional review within the hardware and firmware development teams.
* Ensures department budgets, schedules, and performance requirements are met.
* Oversees delivery embedded systems projects while supporting a unified culture, vision and strategy for the R&D team.
* Assures that individual and team goals are developed and measured for each team member.
* Analyzes data and proposed product specifications to determine feasibility of product proposals.
* Maintains up-to-date knowledge of relevant engineering technology and standards.
* Coordinates and communicates with other functional leaders on product roadmap, feature sets, and partnership opportunities.
* Develops a strong relationship and shared vision with senior management. Helps establish a common vision of development plans and priorities that align with corporate goals.
* Responsible for ensuring that department is committed to and conforms to the company quality system procedures as documented.
* Contributes to design reviews and other key meetings to drive technical solutions for product improvement
* Lead functional team activities for complex projects from concept to regulatory approval, to commercialization.
* Contribute to driving Dexcom's improved gross margin with design improvements
* Identify and resolve complicated issues to schedule, resources, scope and risk assessment.
* Work directly with corporate partners, as appropriate.
* Other duties as assigned
* Typically requires a Bachelor's degree with 15+ years of industry experience. 9+ years of successful management experience in relevant industry.
* Minimum of 12 years of industrial R&D experience (7 of which should be managing both direct reports and larger indirect organizations).
* In-depth knowledge of the product development process and medical device design control requirements is required. Working knowledge of GMP's and ISO standards.
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey technical and business information clearly and effectively through informal and formal documents, reports, and presentations to senior management.
* Participates in establishing strategic plans and objectives.
* Provides high-level guidance and support to employees and other managers.
* Regularly interacts with executives and/or external parties on matters effecting the function.
* Oversees policies and procedures for immediate function.
* Recognized as a functional leader within the organization.
* Works on abstract issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the company.
* Participates in corporate development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people.
* Erroneous decisions will have a serious impact on the overall success of functional or company operations.
* Able to operate in complex global environment.
* Manages the activities of a functional area and/or external service providers.
* People management responsibilities include hiring / terminations, performance reviews, career development coaching and compensation decisions.
* 0 - 24%
Directly supervises employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this area. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Language Skills: Must be able to communicate effectively in English. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to perform the following Physical Activity: Standing, walking, sitting, using hands, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. May be required to lift 0 lbs. to over 100 lbs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be exposed to the following environmental conditions: Wet or humid conditions, work near moving parts, work in high - precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather), extreme cold (non-weather), risk of electric shock, work with explosives, risk of radiation, vibration. The noise level in this work environment can range from quiet to very loud.
Disclaimers: The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Talent Acquisition at email@example.com.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Dexcom. Only authorized staffing and recruiting agencies may use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes on specific requisitions. Dexcom does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to the Talent Acquisition team, Dexcom employees or any other company location. Dexcom is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
Dexcom is a company that develops, manufactures and distributes continuous glucose monitoring systems for diabetes management.