ENERGY FOR WHAT'S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We're working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Transmission and Distribution
Southern California Edison's (SCE's) Transmission and Distribution Organizational Unit (T & D) is responsible for planning, engineering, constructing, operating, and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities throughout the 50,000-square-mile territory. T&D is the steward of roughly $19 billion in assets that safely and reliably deliver electricity to 15 million residents via SCE's 5 million customer accounts.
This Junior Data Scientist will be working closely with Senior Data Scientists and partner with other Analytics team members to turn data into critical information and insights that can be used to make sound business decisions. This includes providing data that is congruent and reliable. You need to be a great teammate, creative thinker, and propose innovative ways to look at problems by using data mining approaches on the sets of information available. This Data Scientist will support development and implementation of advanced predicting/forecasting models using statistical and machine learning methods.
* Perform advanced analytical studies to discover and resolve business problems and generate business insights.
* Work closely with senior data scientists and advisors to assist on developing solutions to data-intensive business problems. Collaborate with other SCE analytic teams and data scientists across the company on big data analytics techniques and tools to improve and enable our analytics capabilities.
* Use available and relevant data, including internal and external data sources; leverage new data collection processes.
* Collaborate with other data scientists and advisors to select relevant sources of information on data collection, preparation, integration, quality, exploration, and retention.
* Use machine learning, data mining, and statistical techniques to craft new, scalable solutions for business problems.
* Work with Data Scientists to perform variable selection and other standard modeling tasks such as variable reduction and grid search for model optimization. Develop simple visualizations of results. Produce model performance metrics. Prepare deliverable reports for business teams.
* Bachelors in a quantitative discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or information sciences such as business analytics or informatics.
* Three or more years of experience in Data Mining, Predictive Modeling, Machine Learning, Statistical Modeling, and Large Scale Data Acquisition.
* Proficient with R and Python.
* One of more years of experience developing tools for data acquisition, extraction, transformation, management, and manipulation of large and complex data sets.
* Proficiency with SQL and/or SAS.
* Experience exploring, modeling, mining, and experimenting with data to resolve critical business issues.
* Experience using and evaluating models for predictive analytics including establishing scalable, efficient, automated processes for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation, and model implementation.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
* Strong problem solving ability.
* Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment and be able to work independently.
* Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
* Relocation does not apply to this position.
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
SCE is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
About Edison International
Edison International is a utility holding company which through its subsidiary Southern California Edison (SCE) distributes electricity in central, coastal, and southern California.