Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We're working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About our Team…
Edison Carrier Solutions (ECS), an organization of Southern California Edison (SCE), is a high-reaching local exchange carrier focused on the wholesale carrier and large business market offering high capacity telecommunications transport, Internet and special access services. Our customers are regional, national and international telecommunication carriers, cable television and satellite providers, wireless companies, internet service providers, governments and large and medium enterprises.
You are a Senior Network Engineering professional with direct "hands-on" network data experience. You are a solid team leader, with the ability to mentor and coach your team partners. You have a passion for partnering with your customers to create solutions. You are passionate about a role that will provide you with the rewarding challenge of keeping up to date with new groundbreaking network technology. You wear many hats. You are part technical guru, trainer, and advisor.
You will serve as the Senior Network Engineer within the Network Architecture/ Engineering and Operations division within Edison Carrier Solutions organization (ECS). You will actively design, document, and manage the installation of new transport facilities in support of new customer orders requesting service. A primary focus of your role will be to focus on innovation, future trends, and new technological advances/ products in Telecom. You will partner with Tier 1 equipment vendors, including Nokia and Infinera, and Tier 1 Software Defined Network (SDN) technology vendors, as we transform our networks across SCE.
Your Typical Responsibilities and Areas of Focus Will Include…
* You will monitor the utilization of transport and fiber optic capacity and design new capacity as needed to accommodate network growth.
* You will design, implement and support SONET, DWDM, and Data Network.
* You will regularly meet with new and established customers in order to understand their technical needs, and will develop and communicate data network and transport solutions to meet those needs.
* You will work with suppliers and vendors to explore how new technology might be incorporated into ECS network for more cost-effective utilization of network assets. You will negotiate with suppliers, contractors, and new transport customers to develop contracts in which the needs of all stakeholders are met.
* A core responsibility you will have is to understand future trends in telecommunication technology and assist in the development of new product offerings based on current network architecture.
* You will also develop sound business cases to support recommendations to add new network technology in order to increase the product portfolio of ECS.
* You will serve as a resource for the resolution of technical issues regarding network equipment.
Qualifications you need …
* Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Telecommunications, or similar technical discipline.
* Twelve (12) or more years of telecommunications engineering experience.
* Five (5) or more years of experience focusing in the design of optic-based transport networks employing SONET and/or DWDM technologies.
* Experience testing, provisioning, and troubleshooting Optical Carrier Technology including SONET, DWDM, TCP/IP routed data and Carrier Ethernet.
* Five (5) or more years of experience with IP Protocols, MPLS, OSI Layers, DNS, Network Management and Element Management Systems.
* Five (5) or more years of experience in Network engineering, L2, L3, OSPF, BGP, VLAN, Multicasting, IP Network, Switching, Routing, VPN, Firewall, Load Balancing.
* Three (3) or more years of experience with IP subnetting.
* Three (3) or more years of experience in a Tier 2 and Tier 3 technical support and operations role.
* Experience working command-line interface or command language interpreter (CLI), also known as command-line user interface, console user interface and character user interface (CUI).
Other qualifications and skills that will set you up for success …
* MBA or Master's degree in engineering, telecommunications, or related technical field
* Experience with Telecommunications Business Solutions (TBS) or similar Telecom database(s).
* Experience consulting with customers, including experience analyzing client requirements, determining the scope of projects, and ensuring the successful implementation of recommendations. Direct Project Management/ Team Leadership experience. Project Management experience should include presenting complex and/or technical information to a wide audience, analyzing information and making strategic decisions/recommendations, and interfacing and collaborating with clients, peers, project personnel, and all levels of management to develop solutions and ensure stakeholder buy-in.
* Ability to be versed on future trends and new technological advances and products in the telecommunications field.
* Strong negotiating skills in order to negotiate successful outcomes with contracts of considerable monetary value and/or strategic significance with vendors, contractors, and carrier customers.
* Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to interface with both technical and non-technical audiences.
* Ability to integrate work across relevant areas, develop the business and services to enhance customer satisfaction and productivity, manage risks and safety appropriately, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external customers.
* Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
* The primary work location for this position is Pomona; however, the successful candidate may also be asked to travel to various Southern California Edison sites (Frequency of Travel: 10%).
* Relocation does not apply to this position.
* This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties.
* We offer a fantastic Total Rewards Package that includes things like a wide selection of health plans, preventative health reimbursement, 401(k) savings plan with company match and automatic company contributions, tuition reimbursement, professional development, volunteer programs, employee assistance program, electric service discount, and many more perks.
The people here at Edison don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We are fueling the kind of innovation that is changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. You'll have a chance to grow your career and make a difference in the world.
SCE serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. As a company, we have big dreams and we know nothing big is ever accomplished alone. Join one of the nation's leading electric utilities in making sure California, and all of us who live here, shine bright.
At SCE we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
About Edison International
Edison International is a utility holding company which through its subsidiary Southern California Edison (SCE) distributes electricity in central, coastal, and southern California.