Azure Capacity Supply Chain and Provisioning is looking for a highly motivated data scientist to help us predict, optimize and build the future of cloud computing. Your statistical and machine learning models will drive significant investment and planning decisions for Microsoft's vast and rapidly growing cloud business. You will be faced with problems ambiguous in nature and will need to think creatively and practically to develop effective solutions to address them. You will interact closely with fellow data scientists, PMs, engineers, senior leadership and other stakeholders by acting as a subject matter expert in quantitative methods, and will develop models that chart the course of demand for Microsoft's entire cloud business.
CSCP's mission is to deliver capacity for all cloud services through intelligent systems. The organization is responsible for strategy and delivery of the foundational platform for all Microsoft online services including Azure demand and capacity forecasting, supply chain, data centers, networking, bandwidth, operations, and incident management. CSCP supports over 200 online businesses including the entirety of Azure Cloud, Bing, O365, OneDrive, Xbox and Windows Azure branded services.
* MS or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research or similar applied quantitative field.
* 3+ years of industry experience in machine learning using R or Python (scikit / numpy / pandas / statsmodel) with skill level at or near fluency.
* 2+ years experience with deep learning models (e.g., tensorflow, PyTorch, CNTK) and solid knowledge of theory and practice.
Preferred Qualifications (in addition to above):
* 3+ years experience developing production-grade statistical and machine learning code in a team environment.
* Experience with operations research, optimization and solvers.
* Knowledge and ability to work within a large-scale computing context, and hands-on experience with Hadoop, Spark, DataBricks or similar.
* Self-directed, with experience successfully delivering complex data products as an individual as well as a part of a larger team.
* Practical experience contributing to and maintaining a large code base with code versioning systems such as git.
* Experience in tech industry, particularly around datacenter workload and/or data networks / demand forecasting / capacity planning / cloud infrastructure.
* Familiarity with Azure, or similar cloud solutions.
* Familiarity with typical data management systems and tools such as SQL.
* Exceptional interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills.
* Proven track record of understanding business needs and translating them into technical solutions.
* Excellent creative thinking skills with emphasis on developing innovative methods to solve hard problems under ambiguity and no obvious solutions.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
As a data scientist, you will have the responsibility of:
* Researching and developing production-grade models (forecasting, anomaly detection, optimization, clustering, etc.) for our global cloud business by using statistical and machine learning techniques;
* Working closely with other data scientists and data engineers to deploy models that drive cloud infrastructure capacity planning;
* Presenting findings/insights regularly to PMs, stakeholders, and senior leadership;
* Keeping abreast of new statistical / machine learning techniques and implementing them as appropriate to improve predictive performance.
Microsoft develops, licenses, and supports software, services, devices, and solutions.