In Cognition, people-not devices-are at the center of everything we do. Our tech moves beyond screens and pixels, creating a new reality aimed at bringing us closer together-whether that's scientists "meeting" on the surface of a virtual Mars or some yet undreamt-of possibility. To get there, we're incorporating diverse groundbreaking technologies, from the revolutionary Holographic Processing Unit to computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction, and more. We're a growing team of talented engineers and artists putting technology on a human path across all Windows devices, including Microsoft HoloLens, the Internet of Things, phones, tablets, desktops, and Xbox. We believe there has to be a better way. If you do too, we need you!
Join the HoloLens Spatial Mapping team to learn how to integrate Computer Vision algorithms into customer products! Our team creates software that enables Mixed Reality devices to understand the shape of their environment. By sharing this understanding with developers via public APIs, we facilitate real-world spatial reasoning such as occlusion, collision, placement, navigation, and more. As a member of the Spatial Mapping team, you will design and implement algorithms for creating digital representations of the real world environment, build tools to visualize, evaluate and improve these algorithms, and provide APIs for accessing the algorithm outputs. We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about collaborating with peers and partner teams to build technology that merges the real world and the virtual world.
* A BS, MSc or PhD degree in Computer Science or equivalent, advanced degree preferred
* 3+ years of relevant software design and C++ development experience preferably on shipped consumer products or platforms
* Experience with Windows drivers or Azure development is a plus
* Background in Computer Vision, Photogrammetry, or Computer Graphics is a plus but not required
* Outstanding technical problem solving and debugging skills
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
There are plenty of other skills that aren't required, but you'll find useful in this role. Let us know if you have experience with embedded programming, robotics, machine learning, or image processing.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Work on innovative technologies related to Computer Vision
* Design, implement, bring-up, optimize, improve and validate algorithms for 3D environment reconstruction
* Collaborate with peers and partners to expand our Spatial Mapping capabilities to new platforms
* Own accurate design and costing for your engineering activities
* Own the quality of your software
* Participate actively in detailed design, code reviews, bug/issue triage with the feature teams, and support well informed decisions towards business and engineering goals
Microsoft develops, licenses, and supports software, services, devices, and solutions.