Bigger challenges. Bolder ideas. Global impact. At Viasat, we're on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. We're the company behind the world's fastest satellite internet service, with technology that's helping to bridge the digital divide and improve life for our customers around the globe. By providing powerful new ways for people to connect with one another, gain greater access to education, entertainment, medical research, commerce, and much more, our team is empowering millions of customers worldwide.
As Cloud Application and DevOps Engineer you will play a key role in the development of large-scale, distributed applications with strong federation, dynamic scaling and configuration, security and policy management, and superior robustness and fault tolerance capabilities. You have the passion to design and deliver highly scalable distributed applications that focus on the business requirements of customers and enable industry leadership in Cloud OS platforms. You possess the creativity and the motivation to deliver exceptional customer experience and to solve real problems for real users. You interact with customers and project management on developing solid domain and problem understanding and work with fellow application and core platform engineers to build solutions for those customer projects.
You will have the opportunity to represent Viasat's cloud technology at customer meetings, workshops, conferences, and in social media.
You will be joining a team of world-class engineers who work together very closely in a distributed setup in which team members are geographically spread out but collaborate with frequent communications, shared development sessions, distributed pair and group programming, and sharing information and interactions by phone, video, chat, e-mail, and other means of information exchange.
The location of this position is flexible and does not require you to relocate or live in a specific location.
* 3+ years of experience with commercial software development in building distributed applications and systems or equivalent expertise
* Familiarity with different programming languages such as Python, Java, and functional programming languages, in particular with Clojure and ClojureScript
* Broad range of technology interests across different disciplines including computer and system architecture, web applications, performance analysis, distributed systems design, testing and verification technologies, data processing, and networking
* Ability to work on distributed remote agile teams with a high degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently
* Excellent communication and collaboration skills to drive interaction with customers, peer developers, and project managers
* Strong technical and software engineering background in the areas of cloud computing, enterprise computing, servers, networking, and virtualization technology and products
* Specific experience with agile methodologies (Kanban, SCRUM, XP). modern software development environments as well as with DevOps practices
* BS/BA or equivalent experience
* Travel up to 10%
* Domain knowledge in any of satellite communication systems, network provisioning, server and network virtualization, BSS/OSS is a plus
* Experience in technologies used in the cloud computing space, including Amazon AWS, Google Compute Engine, Rackspace, or related IaaS offerings, map/reduce algorithms, virtualized server compute units, scalable architectures, distributed databases, and big data analysis
* Experience with SOA based integration techniques using web services, XML/HTTPS, REST, or SOAP
* Hands-on experience with Git
* Experience with provisioning systems and resource management in cloud systems (such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, OpsWorks etc.) is a plus
* Open source contributions and community engagement is desirable and supported
* Proven experience with complete product life cycle in a production services environment, including design, implementation, load and scale testing, deployment and maintenance
To learn more about this site and other office locations, please click here!
BA/BS or equivalent experience
Years of experience:
Up to 10%
Viasat is a company that offers communications products and services.