University of Southern California
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the "Trojan Family," which is comprised of the faculty, students and stage that make the university what it is.
Dornsife Technology Services (DTS) is seeking a Web Developer II to join its team. We support over 2,000 faculty, staff and students in the Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences at USC. DTS prides itself on a customer service oriented and entrepreneurial approach to technology support of teaching, research and administration. The DTS team is comprised of highly-skilled, friendly, and approachable professionals who are dedicated to solving technology problems and offering technology solutions.
Duties and Responsibility
* Design, development, implementation, and maintenance of the department web site, professional faculty websites, as well as other websites and programs within the Dornsife College as needed Design and create websites using our customized content management system
* Design Mobile application templates
* Updating legacy websites using customized content management systems
* Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
* Design graphic user interface elements, like menus, tabs and widgets
* Build page navigation buttons and search fields
* Develop UI mockups and prototypes that clearly illustrate how sites function and look like
* Create original graphic designs (e.g. images, sketches and tables)
* Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders
* Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
* Conduct layout adjustments based on user feedback
* Adhere to style standards on fonts, colors and images
* Participating as a team member in the web development process
* Test websites across browsers, operating systems and devices
* Update website content
* Administer and maintain web analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, SQL and Tableau
* CMS user training
* Develop technical and training manuals
* Gather user requirements and identify new features
* Documented skills in PHP and other web application framework
* Working experience in WordPress or Drupal
* Knowledge of web analytics and SEO
* Familiarity with web standards
* Working knowledge of website management tools
* Strong troubleshooting and analytical abilities
* Excellent communication and teamwork skills
* Ability to generate creative ideas
* Attention to detail and outstanding organizational skill
* Willingness to help user above and beyond
* Exposure to developing web applications for mobile devices
* Documented experience using SQL and other database management tools for use with MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server or other enterprise-level database
* Exposure to developing web applications for mobile device
* Exposure to ColdFusion Web framework.
* Team-Oiented and self-motivated.
* Disciplined programming skills.
* Pay close attention to detail.
* Follow coding standards.
University Park Campus in Los Angeles, California. Remote work is not an option for this position.
$31 - $39.89 per hour/non-exempt, full-time position at 37.5 hours per week.
Required Documents and Additional Information:
* Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). Please do not submit your application without these documents.
* Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
* USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined work experience and education as equivalent
Minimum Experience: 3 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Understanding of and experience with object oriented design; Web servers; Web applications and programming languages; Web content management systems, search engine optimization, and usability engineering.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Read USC's Clery Act Annual Security Report
Required Legal Notices
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser:
About University of Southern California
University of Southern California is a research university.
University of Southern California