The Staff Data Scientist will support global Clinical Affairs within the Transcatheter Heart Valve (THV) business unit, a fast-paced, dynamic team working on innovative medical devices in the structural heart space. This is a unique opportunity to take part in an exciting new venture to create a Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) foundation for our Clinical Affairs team. This position will expose you to the emerging demand and growth of ML and AI in healthcare.
The data scientist will work directly with the Sr. Manager in Business Excellence and the Vice President of THV Clinical Affairs who will be driving the ML and AI strategy across all clinical functions (Clinical Development, Clinical Safety, Clinical Operations, Data Management, Biostatistics, and Clinical Project Management). The primary focus will be to apply data mining techniques, conduct statistical analysis and build high quality prediction models to solve challenging business problems.
We are hiring a data scientist with an interest in healthcare and the aptitude to solve problems that will ultimately improve patient care. The successful candidate will be one who has the knowledge and acumen for understanding how to integrate ML and AI in an organizational setting. Someone who can dive into large amounts of data and help us uncover hidden patterns that will allow us to make smarter decisions, enhance processes, and deliver better care to patients.
* Guide the implementation of new processes and tools to develop and analyze model performance and data accuracy
* Use predictive modeling and algorithms to apply to data sets to drive optimization of the clinical trial experience including updating and ensuring algorithms are current
* Partner with different internal and external stakeholders to plan implementation meetings including testing and training machine learning models while monitoring outcomes
* Drive the processing of structured and unstructured data by data stewards including data governance
* Conduct ad hoc analysis (e.g., effectiveness metrics) and present results to leadership
* Identify opportunities to leverage various sources of data to drive enhanced solutions in collaboration with stakeholders throughout the business
* Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Biostatistics or Scientific field
* Experience in industry, or industry and academia
* Bachelor's degree with 6 years of experience, or Master's degree or equivalent with 5 years of experience, or PhD or equivalent with 2 years of experience
* Experience with machine learning techniques (e.g., clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.)
* Experience using statistical computer languages (e.g, R, Python, SQL, etc.) to manipulate large data sets
* Experience in data visualization tools (i.e. Qlikview, Tableau, etc.)
* Experience with using web services (e.g., Redshift, S3, Spark, etc.)
* Extensive knowledge and understanding of principles, theories, and concepts relevant to Artificial Intelligence (AI) and/or Machine Learning model development, and/or Control Systems
* Proven expertise in statistical techniques (e.g. distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.)
* Proven expertise on MS Office Suite (e.g., Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Access)
* Working knowledge in related tools and applications (e.g., Oracle, JDE, Concur, Salesforce.com) preferred
* Excellent documentation and communication skills
* Excellent interpersonal relationship skills including negotiating and relationship management skills
* Proven successful project management skills
* Advanced problem-solving, organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills
* Extensive understanding of processes and equipment used in assigned work
* Good leadership skills with ability to influence others
* Strict attention to detail
* Ability to interact professionally with all organizational levels
* Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
* Must be able to work in a team environment, including frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts
* Represents organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects
About Edwards Lifesciences
Edwards Lifesciences is a company operating as a global provider of patient-focused medical solutions for structural heart disease and critical care monitoring.