Skytap is looking for a talented Systems Engineer to join our Database team. As a member of this team, you will work with other highly skilled and experienced engineers to design and implement software and solutions that are effective, efficient, and a pleasure to use. You will act as a subject matter expert and assist other teams in scaling their database usage while improving reliability.
Our services and infrastructure are built primarily with open source systems and languages including Linux, Puppet, Python and Ruby, and we use our own product to power the dev and test cycle (that's right - we run Skytap in Skytap. Inception FTW.)
We're looking for someone who
* Can take on full lifecycle ownership (development, testing, deployment, operations)
* Has experience working with large, complex distributed systems
* Has software development experience using languages such as Python, Ruby, Golang, or Elixir
* Has experience automating processes and configuration management using Puppet, Ansible, RabbitMQ etc.
* Can work with stakeholders to understand their needs and requirements and turn that into a working design
* Can support our internal customers in leveraging the technologies and tools that we provide
* Can communicate interesting findings to a wide audience
You would be working on
* Scale MySQL deployment and implement MySQL clustering in Skytap
* Upgrade our control fabric and infrastructure to a more robust and scalable architecture
* Evaluating performance and stability of new tools to determine if they fit company requirements
* Improving monitoring using InfluxDB, Kapacitor, Zabbix, etc.
* Partnering with service owners in all aspects of service operations and ownership
* BS in Computer Science (or equivalent degree or experience)
* 4+ years experience designing and implementing complex distributed systems
* Deep knowledge of database systems and transaction management
* Skill in analyzing, measuring, and optimizing scalability and performance
* Experience using hypervisors
Why Join Us?
Since our founding in Seattle 13 years ago, our employees have been organically creating a culture defined by their passion, technical excellence, and desire to succeed as a team. These values have helped us navigate more than a decade of disruption in the tech industry and we're now poised for major growth.
Staying true to who we are as we grow and change means hiring people who share our commitment to customer success and company-wide accountability. We empower each employee to make an impact, to be active ambassadors of diversity and inclusivity, and to play an active role in building a company worthy of our employees' commitment.
We are scaling rapidly and gaining significant market traction. We have raised over $100M in funding, having closed our Series E round in August 2017. Our public cloud service was designed to solve a specific challenge -- migrate and modernize traditional enterprise applications in the cloud -- that is now paramount to CIOs worldwide. Major enterprises in healthcare, retail, media and more depend on Skytap Cloud to compete in the digital economy. We have differentiated, protected technology that decidedly solves an urgent challenge for enterprise IT. And we need more talented people to solve ever-larger customer challenges.
At Skytap we believe that great people build a great company. Skytap is committed to providing an inclusive, positive working environment for all employees, regardless of sexual orientation, ableness, physical appearance, education, age, race, or religion. We're looking for amazing people to join our mission--come be a part of building something great!
Skytap offers public service for cloud computing.