Our team, Spyglass, is part of the Core Services engineering organization. Our mission is to build and scale data compliance systems at Zendesk. We chose the name Spyglass because it evokes the idea of always looking ahead: we are charting the course for how these systems will evolve. Plus, we thought it would make a cool logo.
Our current project is to develop an orchestration framework that can handle different types of data management requests. Some examples include: honoring a user's "right to be forgotten," or moving our customers' data to a different geographical region to reduce latency. These operations require the participation of many teams and services. Effective technical communication-via documentation or pairing or meetings-is crucial to our success.
We are a small team trying to answer big questions: What is the right distributed transaction pattern for our use cases? How do we safely move terabytes of data across the world, without downtime and without putting too much load on the entire system? If you're intrigued and motivated by this problem space, we encourage you to apply.
Our responsibility to you:
* We will welcome and consider your recommendations for how to improve our code, architecture, documentation, and team processes
* We make decisions openly
* We foster a culture of belonging and inclusion
* We will ensure there is a meaningful link to your contributions and the objectives of the company
* We will help build your people-network internally
Your responsibilities at Zendesk:
* Build an orchestration framework used to coordinate long-lived operations across a collection of services
* Be a mentor to the team and drive best practices amongst the group
* Ship reliable code and document it well
* Significant contributor to our product and technical roadmaps
* Communicate effectively and with empathyThink about the next 3-18 months for the broader engineering org, and identify scaling issues early
* Own the team's services - you believe in taking ownership of design, development, testing, deployment, and are capable of debugging operational issues
You should have some of these skills and qualifications:
* 10+ years of software development experience
* Proficiency with at least one of the following languages: Ruby, Scala, Go, Java.
* A deep understanding of relational and non-relational storages and their trade-offs.
* Experience with some of the more relevant technologies at Zendesk: MySQL, Aurora and DynamoDB.
* Experience with event-driven, distributed architecture using Kafka, SNS/SQS.
* Ability to work through unfamiliar code and technologies.
* Familiarity with at least one modern web frameworks (e.g. Rails, Finatra, Akka-Http).
* Effective communication and the ability to accurately represent our technical vision to our partners in engineering and product.
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth.
More than 100,000 paid customer accounts in over 150 countries and territories use Zendesk products. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk's use of your personal information.
Zendesk is a company developing a customer support ticketing system and service software.