ABOUT THE ROLE:
Do you love what you do? Are you passionate about programming? If you love challenges and strive for excellence, come build the future of learning with us! We are a small, collaborative, fun group of engineers looking for someone like you to become part of our team. Our user facing projects are diverse, interesting, and innovative. Our work is impactful; we help people improve their lives through learning. We leverage the latest technologies (Python, Django, Redis, RabbitMQ), adopt industry best practices and iterate in fast-paced release environment. You will see the positive results of your work weekly. We don't forget to celebrate and have fun. Come and grow with us!
Here's what you'll be doing:
* Design, develop, test, and release libraries, components, and tools for creating and maintaining best in class server-side software at Udemy.
* Identify and evaluate new technologies that improve performance, maintainability and robustness of our backend software.
* Plan, organize, and complete work within agile sprints. Communicate effectively on progress towards meeting expectations.
* Contribute in code reviews, design discussions, and develop features and solutions that scale.
* Serve as a technical lead for various projects/tasks as needed.
* Use best software development practices and processes to coach and mentor junior engineers to become proficient developers.
* Contribute to a team culture that values openness, inclusiveness, quality, robustness, and scalability while fostering innovation.
We're excited about you because you have:
* Minimum four (4) years of experience as a back-end or full-stack software engineer.
* Ability to learn and work with existing code bases.
* Strong technical communication skills.
* Knowledge of Object Oriented software design patterns and computer science fundamentals (e.g. data structures, algorithms).
* Experience with web application development using modern frameworks (e.g. Django, Rails, Zend, etc.).
* Understanding of Web Framework ORMs (e.g. Django ORM, SQLAlchemy, peewee, Rails' Active Record, etc.).
* Minimum 2 years of experience with Python or other scripting languages such as Ruby, PHP, etc.
* Experience with relational DB (e.g. MySQL) including development of complex SQL queries.
* Experience developing software that runs on Linux and/or Unix servers.
* Experience working with Real-time messaging and NoSQL infrastructures: Redis, RabbitMQ, Celery, Kafka, etc.
* Experience with Testing methods, including unit and integration tests.
Nice to haves:
* Familiarity with containerization technologies (docker, lxc, rkt, etc.).
* Familiarity with container orchestration technologies (Kubernetes, Marathon, etc.).
* Experience working with cloud computing services providers (AWS, Google cloud platform, Azure, etc.).
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 30 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We're a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy's culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco's SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News:
The Key To Solving Future Skills Challenges
Algorithms are coming for their jobs, so workers are teaching themselves algorithms
Distractions Are Costing Companies Millions. Here's Why 66 Percent of Workers Won't Talk About It
How Soft Skills Can Help You Get Ahead in a Tech World
Udemy operates as a marketplace for teaching and learning.