ABOUT THE ROLE:
Decision scientists draw on a combination of quantitative methods and product intuition to find actionable insights that drive key product decisions at Udemy, answering questions such as: what makes a course great? are ratings a reliable signal of course quality in a two-sided marketplace? how should courses be priced to reflect their value? what are the drivers of long-term customer satisfaction? what bottlenecks exist in the course creation process?
As a Data Science Manager at Udemy, you'll be responsible for growing and leading a team of decision scientists to partner directly with product, marketing, design, and engineering teams throughout the company. This role isn't about working in a single well-scoped area. Rather, we're looking for a sharp, independent data leader with a talent for drawing structure out of ambiguity, a relentless focus on driving meaningful business impact, and a passion for improving lives through learning!
Here's what you'll be doing:
* Recruiting, hiring, and retaining an amazing team of high caliber decision scientists
* Providing hands-on technical guidance and career mentorship for team members
* Collaborate with other data leaders to define Udemy's long-term data strategy/vision
* Partnering with cross-functional leaders to shape the product roadmap and drive execution
* Maintaining high quality standards for data science work and recruiting
* Building Udemy's technical brand through talks, blog posts, and publications
We're excited about you because you have:
* 1+ years of experience managing and growing high performance data science teams
* 4+ years of industry experience in a decision science context
* Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
* Strong knowledge of applied statistics, experimental design, and causal inference
* Proficiency with SQL and 1+ programming languages (e.g., R or Python)
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 30 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We're a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy's culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco's SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News:
The Key To Solving Future Skills Challenges
Algorithms are coming for their jobs, so workers are teaching themselves algorithms
Distractions Are Costing Companies Millions. Here's Why 66 Percent of Workers Won't Talk About It
How Soft Skills Can Help You Get Ahead in a Tech World
Udemy operates as a marketplace for teaching and learning.