About the Role
We're looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our Platform Engineering team. Reliability Engineering at Opendoor fills the mission-critical role of ensuring that our product is healthy, monitored, automated, and designed to scale. Reliability engineering builds the happiness and velocity of product engineering teams by reducing side effects and providing technical leadership for best practices. Because we buy and sell the largest single asset in most people's lives, our transaction volume is low. But our product complexity is high. Behind the scenes, we have thousands of operators ensuring that homes are inspected and repaired to meet our standards.
You will use your experience to work closely with our product engineering teams from the early stages of design all the way through identifying and resolving issues that relate to infrastructure or application behavior in production.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the evangelization of best practices, and will also believe that automation is a key component to operating our monolith and micro services in a Kubernetes compute environment. An ideal candidate will like to delete code as much as writing code.
Your responsibilities may include:
* Refactor tightly coupled application behavior to reduce risks of making changes
* Keep the customer-facing services available at top performance by maintaining the constant health of the supporting systems.
* Act in key support roles during major incidents e.g. Sev0, Sev1. Also, participate in the technical review of the incident for problem management.
* Optimize build pipeline and tooling to reduce CI/CD times
* Work closely with development teams to ensure that platforms are designed with"supportability" in mind.
We're looking for teammates who have:
* 4+ years of experience with operating web services in a production environment.
* Ruby experience is a plus, but any OOP is fine
* Experience with monitoring systems such as datadog, or other open source monitoring solutions.
* Moderate experience with TCP/IP networking.
* Practical experience managing databases or search engines, such as Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra or ElasticSearch.
* Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
* Ability to participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
* Unwavering commitment to operational security and best practices.
* BS/MS in Computer Science
* Experience with container platforms such as Kubernetes, Mesos
* Knowledge of server hardware and/or experience working with Amazon Web Services(AWS)
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
* Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependent
* Flexible vacation policy
* Educational budget to invest in your career development and growth
* Fitness/Commuter Benefit stipend
* Generous parental leave
* Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Opendoor is an online home-selling service aimed at streamlining the sales process down.