About the role
If working in a fast-paced, rapid-growth startup that will define the future of an industry excites you, we would like to talk to you about a Principal Engineer role on our technology team. The engineering team at Opendoor has scaled to 200+ people, and the coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation in multiple areas as we scale our business nationwide and explore new frontiers.
As a Principal Engineer, you will lead the technical direction, architecture and implementation of critical projects, work with external/internal customers to understand and define complex requirements, promote software development best practices, and mentor other engineers. We are working on complex technical challenges related to consumer-facing application development, real estate operations engineering, price optimization, data & analytics platforms, migration from monolithic to service-oriented architectures, and security engineering, to name a few. Nothing is off-limits; you will collaborate with research, business, product, design, operations and finance teams to build prototypes, invent new features, and deliver highly scalable services and products for external and internal customers. An ideal candidate for this role will have a demonstrated ability to deliver results, high attention to detail, team-player mindset, and curiosity to keep learning.
In this role, you will:
* Contribute to all phases of software development including ideation, prototyping, design and implementation. Aim for 50% hands-on development and 50% lead/architecture work
* Design and develop highly scalable backend & frontend software that translate business needs into workable technology solutions
* Provide technical leadership in determination of current limitations and interdependencies between subsystems, selection of new concepts, and development of roadmaps that'll shape the future of our technology systems
* Play an active role in hiring, mentoring and career development of other engineers
* Raise the bar for technical standards, performance, reliability, and operational excellence
We're looking for teammates who have:
* 10+ years of track record in building and delivering high quality software systems
* Exceptional coding skills, and strong skills in computer architectures, operating systems and algorithms
* Depth and breadth across multiple areas ranging from service oriented architectures, distributed systems, machine learning, algorithms, databases and front-end technologies
* Expertise in an object-oriented language, AWS, Linux, and emerging platforms like Go, React, React Native, Spark and Kubernetes
* Excellent communication skills, high judgment, and proven ability to use metrics to drive decisions
* A sense of ownership and a passion for delighting customers through innovation and simple solutions to complex problems
* A Bachelors degree or higher in Computer Sc. or related field
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
* Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependent
* Flexible vacation policy
* Educational budget to invest in your career development and growth
* Fitness/Commuter Benefit stipend
* Generous parental leave
* Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Opendoor is an online home-selling service aimed at streamlining the sales process down.