Whole Foods Market
The Senior Software Development Manager will be responsible for standing up a new capability and team within the Retail space to enable enterprise level services to advance retail and checkout capabilities. This role is a senior manager level leadership role and will be highly visible within the organization.
In this role, the Senior SDM will lead a team of leaders and engineers in design, development, test, and deployment of retail services to support Whole Foods Market retail initiatives for stores and customers. The Senior SDM will have technical ownership of the services framework and domain within Retail, and will evolve the software engineering culture, refine and enforce development standards and processes, and work with peer groups on best practices.
A successful candidate will be strong technical leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, demonstrate a consistent track record of delivery, and possesses the motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. This leader must be able to dive deep into the details on business and engineering. This leader will need to excel at hiring and developing both leaders and engineers. This position will be located in Austin, TX.
* Responsible defining and enabling retail services framework and associated services that will be consumed at the enterprise level to enable new retail capabilities. This includes influencing and leveraging vendor partnerships to shape future roadmaps and ultimately deliver on business goals
* Recruit, develop, and retain technical leadership and individual contributors to stand up a new team
* Direct management of software engineers, process and quality service improvements, strategic planning, project management for software within the team, and management of resources across teams
* Collaborate with business leaders and technology teams to help define the long-term strategy and translate that into an achievable roadmap and action plans
* Lead retail services architecture and design across multiple initiatives by working closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
* Ensure that teams are adhering to delivery methodologies adopted by the team, as well as program and project management best practices, testing and integration standards, and security compliance and risk requirements
* Demonstrate a strong leadership track record with proven experience empowering, developing and motivating leaders and team members
* Present technology plans and proposals to senior leadership throughout the company
* Excel in demonstrating and promoting Whole Foods and Amazon Leadership Principles
* Collaborate with infrastructure and security teams to ensure Retail systems adherence with non-functional requirements around security, stability, sizing, supportability, etc.
* Deep dive into technical architecture and design to vet solutions
* Conduct research and investigate new tools and technologies, as well as existing tools used already within Whole Foods that will be required to support the deliverables of the team
* Possess strong communication and leadership skills, with the ability to communicate with confidence, clarity, and focus to experts, non-experts and senior leaders
* Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to senior management
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
* 10+ years of experience as a software developer or leader
* 7+ years of experience in understanding of all aspects of software engineering, including coding, architecture, and development
* 5+ years people management experience or relevant leadership experience
* Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
* A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
* Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers in the retail business sector
* Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
* Experience taking complex projects from initial concept through final launch
* Multi-year experience with tier-1 retailer
* Experience in building and standing up a new team to meet the goals and vision ahead
* Deep hands-on technical expertise
* Strong business and technical vision
* Strong understanding of system performance and scaling
* Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
* Stays current with new/evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
* Able to effectively maintain productive relationships and deliver valued services to multiple peer organizations of varying capabilities and with different requirements
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.
About Whole Foods Market
Whole Foods Market is a company operating a chain of natural and organic foods supermarkets.