Whole Foods Market
Whole Foods Market is seeking a Principal Retail Infrastructure Architect to join our Technical Architecture team responsible for designing and distributing new technology solutions across the retail footprint. This Senior-level Retail Engineer role is responsible for the development and management of our retail (within the walls of the store) infrastructure. Day-to-day activities include working with the business and internal/external development groups to engineer solutions within the customer facing technologies group. Specifically, the Principal Retail Architect provides engineering and solutions architecture services for Microsoft Server and Windows-based systems across the retail enterprise. The ideal candidate must live and breathe collaboration, cooperation and communication as this role will work closely with other technology teams, vendors and business partners to build win-win relationships.
This position is located in Austin, Texas. The internal job title is Principal DevOps Engineer.
* Participate in the ongoing development of the infrastructure roadmap
* Participate in the development of short and long-range plans
* Work with application teams and vendors to develop and lead the implementation of system solutions for customer facing technologies; including Point of Sale (POS), scales, mobile devices, etc.
* Provide technical leadership and supervision of other technical personnel
* Serve as a trusted advisor to internal leaders by seeing the big picture and translating business strategies into actionable technology roadmaps and project plans
* Assist in developing IT polices to support the implementation of strategies set by upper management
* Establish and manage senior-level technical relationships with other internal tech teams, as well as our third-party vendors
* Design, develop and lead the implementation of automated processes, tools and applications to support large-scale deployments and ongoing support/management of the system
* Participate as a senior advisor in the diagnosis and solution of environment related issues; including network, hardware, permissions, certificates, etc.
* Lead systems design meetings with the customer and vendor
* Apply new solutions through research and collaboration with team to determine course of action for new application initiatives
* Actively participate in Point of Sale (POS) software release and deployment planning to ensure functionality is supported on existing hardware
* Adhere to established security, testing policies and procedures
* 10+ years of experience in Retail Infrastructure and Point of Sale (POS) systems
* 3 years of experience as a Solution Architect, Domain Architect or Enterprise Architect
* Demonstrated proficiency in:
* Infrastructure and applications architecture modeling and design
* Design documentation
* System qualities and tradeoffs - solution evaluation experience
* Software security methods and models
* Application frameworks
* Working Security/PCI/SOX compliance knowledge
* Software development knowledge (programming models, runtime execution environments, software design patterns, software engineering, software documentation); Point of Sale (POS) preferred
* Understanding of business functionality, interfaces, data flow and functional architecture of systems supported
* Aptitude for creative thinking, decision-making, learning, problem-solving, systems thinking, personal ethics, organizational skills and trustworthiness
* Experience making hosted vs. on premises decisions and leading migration to the cloud
* Working knowledge of application containers and containerization pros/cons
* Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills with ability to work independently to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
* Specific knowledge of Windows 7 and 10 clients, Server 2012 and 2016 and Hyper-V
* Working knowledge in administering Windows Active Directory (AD) and Group Policy Object (GPO)
* Proficiency in system hardware architecture and implementation
* Knowledge of infrastructure and server theories, principles and concepts; application infrastructure and standards; networking fundamentals; Windows; Physical Server architecture; Virtualization technologies (e.g. Hyper-V, VMware) and LAN/WAN/Firewall/VPN network technologies
* Mobile device knowledge and ability to lead technical solutions involving mobile device selection, deployment, Mobile Device Management and operational support for mobile device solutions
* Ability to define data reporting criteria and how to use these reports to identify trends and as a means of troubleshooting recurring problems
* Understanding of both business and systems processes and an ability to understand and explain issues from both a technical and a business functional point of view
* Strong interdisciplinary problem-solving skills, demonstrated by frequent and successful application of technical standards, theories, concepts, and techniques
* Ability to work as a member of a highly collaborative team
* Demonstration of strong oral and written communications, teaching, facilitation and negotiation, leadership and influencing skills
* Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
* 4-year degree in Computer Science preferred or equivalent experience
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.
About Whole Foods Market
Whole Foods Market is engaged in the business of natural and organic foods supermarket.