How do you protect against those with bad intentions? You create innovative technical processing solutions and collaborate with some of the finest talent in the IT field. Whether you're an Information Systems Technologist or an Encryption Strategy Expert, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life balance. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
* America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
* Career & Development Opportunities
* Entry, Mid, Senior
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
Raytheon Global Business Services (GBS) IT, Business Application Services (BAS) organization is a recognized leader in the delivery of application lifecycle services on behalf of Raytheon. BAS collaborates with our business and functional partners to drive business value through innovative solutions and services excellence. BAS supports the strategic direction of Raytheon through agile application delivery, the pursuit of emerging technologies, and by ensuring the reliability and compliance of mission critical applications.
The Business Application Services (BAS) organization has an opening for a Principal Applications Technologist. The purpose of this role is to provide technical leadership across multiple projects for a geographically dispersed application development team. Responsibilities will include estimating future project scope, designing and documenting application architecture, sprint planning, conducting daily scrum meetings, and performing regular code reviews for guidelines and standards adherence.
The position engages individuals in challenging assignments that are focused on developing technical skills, business acumen, and leadership. This person will be responsible for implementing high quality, scalable, and extendable solutions for both the enterprise and individual business units. Application development projects align to enterprise strategies and are directly connected to meeting business objectives. This person will partner with functional managers to execute critical IT processes that enable business success and collaborate across multiple IT functions to provide high-impact solutions. Each member of the Application Development Team builds trusted relationships with their stakeholders through collaboration, effective communication, and partnering skills.
US Citizenship Required: This position requires access to systems/tools that are restricted to individuals who possess US citizenship.
Location: Billerica, MA; Richardson, TX
* Code, test, and implement code solutions for internal customers
* Interpret requirements into software architecture and design
* Design, develop and code software sufficient to meet the requirements of one or more components or systems
* Perform integration, test and documentation duties to ensure proper operation of hardware and software platforms
* Integrate a wide variety of applications from various sources; integrate and ensure they meet performance standards for stability and resource utilization
* Adhere to accepted standards and processes for development, including writing unit tests which provide a high percentage of code overage; participating in code peer reviews, conducting design reviews, and generating test plans to ensure maximum stability and quality of code
* Escalate project challenges and communicate risks and opportunities to leadership
* Scope and estimate large and complex solutions for internal customers
* Lead brainstorming discussions and suggest ideas as opportunities arise
* Design and document complex application architecture
* Perform regular code and architecture reviews
* Contribute to the overall technology strategy, architecture & design, and development practices within Raytheon.
* Responsible for software technical design baseline including developing and maintain software design patterns and reference architecture
* Develop and maintain standards based decoupled software ecosystem
* Develop and manage software prototypes and reference applications
* Led application design activities across the organization
* Design and prototype cloud deployable and DevOps enabled scalable solutions to business problems
* Mentor and serve as a subject matter expert on modern development patterns
* Propose and implement ideas to improve operational processes and procedures
* Interpret business and technical requirements into software architecture and design
* Bachelor's degree and Minimum 8+ years' experience with the following:
* Java development experience
* Knowledge of CS fundamentals, algorithms, and data structures
* Technical expertise across Tomcat, Java, Spring (or SP.NET MVC, and C), and RESTful web services
* Solid understanding/experience with Test-Driven development tools (Junit, Mockito, Selenium)
* Problem-solving skills and proven record of working well in a team environment
* Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
* Strong understanding of application management and release methodologies
* Ability to clearly document and diagram technical systems
* Experience working with diverse workforces, contractors and suppliers
* Understanding of application controls and compliance
* Ability to translate Business and Function demands to technical requirements and tasks
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Experience with Jira (or similar collaboration/planning tools)
* Understand/experience with standards based DevOps CI/CD tools, such as Maven, Jenkins, Artifactory and Gradle
* Experience developing and deploying applications to Amazon GovCloud, or Microsoft Azure for Government
* Experience developing cloud native applications
* Current on technology trends and contributes to knowledge capital
* Experience with RESTful services
* Experience using JDBC to connect to relational databases (programmatic & command line)
* Experience developing and deploying distributed cloud-based applications
* Development, inspection, and manipulation of XML, XSDs and WSDLs
* Experience with automated testing, build automation and dependency management tools
* Experience coding applications interfacing with MySQL, Postgres and MongoDB databases
* Strong Customer & Service Focus
* Highly self-motivated, directed and improvement oriented
* Build relationships with non-technical people
* Effective communicator able to influence alignment
* Proven track record of achieving valued results
* Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to constructively debate, dialogue, negotiate, influence and work with others collaboratively
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or Software Engineering.
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 96 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5I(TM) products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass. Visit us at www.raytheon.com and follow us on Twitter @Raytheon.
None / Not Required
Computer/Management Information Systems
Type Of Job
MA - Billerica
TX - Richardson
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.