University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Information Security and Policy (ISP) provides policy and security oversight for institutional information and campus IT resources, providing a structured approach to information risk management for the campus. The CalNet / Identity and Access Management is one of the teams within ISP.
The Identity Management Web Developer plans, designs, develops, implements and administers databases to acquire, store and retrieve identity data. The analyst ensures accuracy and completeness of identity data from systems of record. They establish and maintain data security; migrate data to new systems; optimize data system performance; develop database dictionaries, specifications, tables and data elements. The analyst also investigates and remedies errors in upstream data.
This position involves writing programs in a computer language, designing related databases, web interfaces and content, or multimedia processes. The position designs, develops, modifies, tests and evaluates and maintains computer programs. Work includes test-to-production processes, quality assurance, maintenance and documentation of applications.
This Applications Programmer IV will develop web applications for the UC Berkeley Identity and Access Management team. UC Berkeley is currently actively engaged in the development of open source identity solutions for higher education.
Over time, the position will include adoption of new programming languages, tools, frameworks, and environments. The incumbent is expected to help evolve Identity and Access Management applications and assist in campus developer technology adoption. This position is responsible for getting new technologies working seamlessly in the UC Berkeley environment while ensuring performance, robustness, security, and accessibility campus standards for enterprise systems are met. This position will also be responsible for key building block application components that can be utilized by developers everywhere across the campus.
* Working with the IT Architect, applies advanced applications programming concepts to design, develop, modify, debug and evaluate highly complex programs for functional areas. Builds web pages for a variety of internal and external constituents.
* Responsible for providing analysis for highly complex existing programs or works to formulate logic for new systems, devise logic procedures, perform coding, data analysis, performance and integration testing and debug programs, dealing directly with major department managers.
* Initiates, designs and uses complex relational databases. Performs highly complex data modeling.
* Develops and executes moderately complex test plans.
* Develops conversion and system implementation plans.
* Prepares and obtains approval of system and programming documentation.
* Initiates and recommends changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
* Trains users in conversion and implementation of system.
* Understands industry practices and department policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
* Interacts with senior level internal personnel.
* May help lead a team of applications programming professionals.
* Experience with Application Frameworks such as Spring, Hibernate
* Experience implementing SSO with protocols such as CAS, SAML, OIDC
* Experience implementing Multi-Factor Authentication solutions
* Expert-level knowledge of system and applications design and implementation
* Experience developing and maintaining secure web applications
* Solid understanding of and preferably experience managing LDAP directory services
* Familiarity with web servers (especially Apache/Tomcat)
* Familiarity with messaging technologies, DB platforms, and Web Services
* Substantial experience with *NIX systems, particularly Red Hat Enterprise Linux
* Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner across the organization and at varying levels
* Ability to produce clearly written technical documentation
* Experience implementing public cloud infrastructure and/or applications using best practices for security, monitoring and resource lifecycle
* Experience implementing configuration management (e.g. Chef, Ansible, Puppet)
* Experience automating on-prem and cloud deployments
* Working knowledge of Docker and container orchestration solutions (e.g. Swarm, Kubernetes, ECS)
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About University of California
University of California is a public research university system.