The Regents of the University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The application review for this job begins immediately.
International House is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit, self-supporting residential and community-oriented program center located in the southeast foothills of the Berkeley Campus. Since its founding in 1930 with a gift from John D. Rockefeller, Jr., it has housed more than 90,000 residents including two Governors of California and eight Nobel Prize laureates. Its mission is to foster intercultural respect and understanding among people throughout the world across cultural, economic, and ethnic lines. I-House provides nearly 1,100 students and scholars from the United States and around the world with an opportunity to live and learn together annually. I-House's rich array of programs serves the residents, the campus and local community.
Under the direction of the Director of Business and Finance, the Information Systems Analyst 4 provides professional application of Business Improvement processes, Project Management, and a variety of IT services, including systems administration, desktop support, business systems analysis, or a combination of these and/or other IT functions.
The Business Improvement Process and Project Management aspects of this role, entail close collaboration with internal systems users, to understand where roadblocks, slowdowns or complexity exists. The incumbent would be expected to identify potential solutions, analyze the best option from an operational and cost perspective, recommend the preferred option and implement the approved solution using project management to optimize the result and minimize inconvenience and issues to users and internal customers. Examples of Business Improvements that could occur in future, include non-wired telephone solutions, merchant accounts that synchronize with the catering and events software, electronic door access for residents, software adjustments requested of vendors for financial reservation or development software, among others. The position is also responsible for ensuring that disaster backup and recovery systems are in place for key operational and historic data. The position will negotiate pricing and services with independent ISP providers and other vendors as needed and appropriate. International House provide numerous (campus) services, including wired and wireless networks, telephone, financial and student record databases, web based applications and a campus I.D. card system. The position is charged with keeping abreast of changes in wireless technology, so that the wireless service for the residents and guests, which has just been upgraded, can be taken to the next level in 4 or 5 years. The position assures that we build and maintain a reliable and secure network infrastructure for administrative offices and residents and oversee the telephone systems including internal wiring, moves and changes as needed.
The position is also responsible for design, maintenance and security of network infrastructure including configuration of wireless controllers (Cisco) and 250 access points, switches, routers and firewalls. The position manages the Windows network including server configuration, and configures and manages Linux servers for DNS and DHCP services, MySQL databases and web based applications. It monitors and administers the campus card system that provides access to the facilities, meal plans, online payment systems for printing, laundry facilities and 3rd party vendors and negotiates the provision of end user support. Further, the position monitors the cloud based reservation system and student record database (Starrez) and provides end user support. The position configures and maintains computer workstations, or manages the staff that completes these tasks, and provides end user support for a variety of software packages.
* Applies advanced IT concepts to perform highly complex technical functions from multiple IT areas of specialization. Designs and implements highly complex system enhancements (software and hardware) that improve the performance and reliability of systems. Supports cloud based accounting (Financial Edge) and room management software (Starrez).
* Responsible for setup and maintenance of virtualized servers and network monitoring systems. Analyzes and implements LAN and/or WAN system projects.
* Maintains and develops security configuration. Coordinates with campus to execute security control to prevent hackers from infiltrating campus information including installation and configuration of firewall devices, host based firewall and data encryption.
* Installs and manages network access control systems for wireless and wired residential networks.
* Analyzes and resolves business challenges with automated systems.
* Thorough knowledge of TCP/IP networks including routers, switches, firewalls, and controller based wireless systems with encryption.
* Ability to install, configure and administer Windows servers and workstations in a domain environment, including configuration of Windows IIS to support web based applications and services.
* Ability to install and administer Linux based servers, including radius (firewalls) and MySQL.
* Knowledge of Starrez room management software.
* Knowledge of campus "1 Card" systems to facilitate transactions (dining, printing laundry, etc.) and building security.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, or related field, plus five (5) years of professional work experience in Information Technology.
Salary & Benefits
Salary Range: $7,216.67 (minimum) - $11,000.00 (midpoint) Monthly
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A cover letter plus the names and contact information for three (3) professional references are required at the time of application. Failure to submit the required documents will result in disqualification.
Must successfully pass a comprehensive credit history check.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About The Regents of the University of California
The Regents of the University of California is the governing board of the University of California.