Zendesk is looking for an experienced Engineering Team Lead to join our team of storage infrastructure engineers. If you are a seasoned engineering leader, with a passion for making data driven decisions, observable systems, and you have experience in delivering scalable storage infrastructure to an engineering org with diverse goals we want to talk to you! You will utilize both your leadership and your technical expertise to guide and enable the teams of hardworking engineers. As a leader of the storage foundation team you'll ensure that the team is shipping architecturally-sound software at a regular cadence and enabling the roadmaps, success, and velocity of engineering teams across the company by building internal service platforms, automation, and self-healing systems.
What you get to do every day:
* Recruit, onboard and retain talented software engineers
* Provide the team with career mentorship and regular guidance
* Influence sound architectural decisions for storage infrastructure at Zendesk, balanced by the reality of our business strategy and needs
* Keep the team up to date on important engineering, business decisions, and the goals
* Participate in all phases of the software lifecycle including being a principal collaborator with product managers, security and compliance, and engineering leaders to define product specifications
* Create the processes that are right for your team, and make sure they're followed.
* Review code submissions of junior staff mentoring and guiding them throughout the process
* Proactively seeking out and help engineering teams to achieve their goals as well as looking towards the future to find opportunities to improve infrastructure and code
* Work in a dynamic, agile team where standard methodologies for delivering excellence and high availability software is everything
What you bring to the role:
* A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in software development including time building infrastructure and services in a SaaS environment
* At least 1 year of experience in a role where you had direct managerial responsibility for software engineers on your team
* Strong coding skills in at least one programming language, and a desire to pick up more (we work primarily in Golang, Java, Ruby, and Python)
* Experience decomposing monolithic datastores for service oriented architectures
* Experience building datastore automation, self-healing systems, and architecting storage systems with high reliability
* Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
* Strong skills in instrumenting datastore observability and performance tuning (relational storage systems ideal)Verifiable contributions to open source software are a plus
* Possesses a deep understanding of web application development and agile development practices
* Enthusiasm for writing elegant and clean code
* Understanding of usage analysis, resource consumption, cost analysis
* Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
* Strong understanding of AWS (or another cloud provider) products and services
* Great communication skills both written and verbal
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth.
More than 100,000 paid customer accounts in over 150 countries and territories use Zendesk products. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Zendesk is a software development company, providing software-as-a-service products for organizations.