What you'll be doing...
As our Systems Performance engineer, you will be a member of a centralized team and primarily responsible for ensuring superior, end-to-end reliable wireless voice and data services in a large service provider network. These services include current 4G LTE, VoLTE, VoWifi, and TRFO/NNI services as well as future 5G services, SDN/NFV, MEC, and other cloud-native services. Additional responsibilities will include working with various teams on new service integrations/upgrades, defining standard best practices, implementing automation, providing in-depth troubleshooting, supporting field teams, and providing reporting to executive management to help drive business decisions.
This position requires a working knowledge of IP networks and applicants are expected to have demonstrated experience working with or detailed study of network protocols such as TCP/IP, IPv6, MPLS, BGP, DNS, DIAMETER, RTP, and SIP. This engineer will also need an understanding of 3GPP LTE standard EPC network elements including the MME, SGW, PGW, and ePDG as well as interfaces such as S1-U, S1-MME, S10, S11, S5, S2a, S2b, S6a, S6b, Gx, Gy, Rf, and SGi. Additionally, this position will focus on performance of a voice over LTE IMS service and need to be familiar with SIP call flows and elements such as CSCF, SBC, SR, MRFP, HSS, ENUM, TAS, and SCG.
There also is a high emphasis on using various software tools such as network performance managers (SevOne), network protocol analyzers (Netscout, Irisview, Wireshark), data analytic/visualization software (Tableau, R, Hive/Hadoop), and programming languages to proactively identify, automate, investigate, and resolve anomalies with various key performance indicators (KPIs), log messages, call flows, and raw packets.
* Analyzing our network's capacity and coverage, and looking for ways to make improvements.
* Implementing various system performance improvement plans.
* Recommending and evaluating the impact of new cells.
* Monitoring and troubleshooting system problems.
* Coordinating intersystem optimization.
What we're looking for...
Never satisfied with the status quo, you thrive on continuous improvement. You have a strong domain experience in performance management tools, call processing, frequency planning, and all aspects of cellular networks. You enjoy the process of solving complex issues while empowering the team around you to do the same.
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering with a computer networking focus or four or more years of work experience.
* Four or more years of relevant work experience.
* Valid driver's license.
* Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including nights as necessary.
* Willingness to travel (up to 25%).
Even better if you have:
* A degree in electrical engineering or Master's degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering with a computer networking focus.
* Experience in the cellular industry. Ideally, with network experience.
* Three or more years of experience in the IP networking or network software/programming, or equivalent detailed coursework in IP networking topics.
* Experience with RF propagation tools and radio test equipment, like Ascm, DataPro, Spectrum Analyzers, Actix, Windcatcher, or RF Scanners.
* Knowledge of intermodulation, distortion, interference detection, and mitigation techniques.
* Knowledge of antenna characteristics or antenna system design and selection.
* Knowledge of frequency planning constraints and requirements such as C/I, co and adjacent channel criteria.
* Knowledge of LTE, VoLTE, Evdo, or CDMA.
* Experience analyzing and working with network protocols such as TCP/IP, IPv6, MPLS, BGP, DNS, RTP, or SIP.
* Experience with, and detailed knowledge of, 3GPP 4G LTE interfaces (S1-MME, S1-U, S5, S6a, S6b, S10, S11, S2a, SGi, Gx, Rf, Gy), network elements (MME, SGW, PGW, HSGW, AAA, HSS, PCRF), and call-flows.
* Knowledge of IMS network interfaces, network elements, and call flows.
* Knowledge with cloud-native software tools such as Prometheus, Github, Kubernetes, Grafana, Jaeger, Elastic, etc.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.