Verizon Media Group
Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. We continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. That's why we need smart, humble, funny people to keep Tumblr growing. We're big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.
Tumblr's Content Intelligence team is looking for a well-versed engineer and data scientist who's ready to take over entire features of the code base. You will handle the autonomous agents that sift Tumblr content for patterns and anomalies. You will work on the data pipelines that service moderators, both human and robot. Are you ready to join this amazing team and take it to the next level?
What you'll do:
* Work with groundbreaking data processing tools to dive into the depths of Tumblr's dataset. You will seek patterns that indicate malice and fraud.
* Propose hypotheses and prove (or disprove!) them with your data models.
* Optimize queries for time, memory space, and disk I/O. Stress in-memory caches, mappers, reducers, and learning agents to their limit and beyond. Learn from the wreckage of your fallen robots.
* Collaborate with a talented team of engineers and content moderators.
Who you are:
* You dream about machine intelligence and build the possible parts.
* Bachelor's degree or greater in Computer Science or a similar field.
* 3+ years of experience with large datasets.
* Experience on using big data platforms Hadoop and MapReduce, including frameworks such as Spark, Hive, or Scalding.
* Proficiency in Python, PHP, Scala or Java
* Smarts, modesty, and equal willingness to learn and teach.
Tools we use:
* Hadoop, Spark, Scalding, Hive
* Machine learning systems
* PHP, Scala, Python
* MySQL, Memcached, Redis
* GitHub, Jira, Confluence
Verizon Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Verizon Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please email ApplicantAccommodation@verizonmedia.com or call 408-336-1409. Emails/calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
Currently work for Verizon Media? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media Group
Verizon Media Group is a diverse house of more than 50 media and technology brands that engages more than a billion people around the world.