Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position will work closely with creative director and content manager to conceptualize, strategize and produce highly creative solutions. The candidate will be responsible for developing graphical user interfaces (GUI) and interaction designs and page layouts for a large, transactional website. The candidate will execute a consistent creative vision from concept to production with a focus on creating intuitive and streamlined customer experiences and information presentation design. The candidate will coordinate with internal and external stakeholders and content owners to plan, create and implement changes to designs on the website.
* Develop e-commerce website design templates, interaction flows, prototypes and wireframes with a customer-centric and mobile-first focus
* Design and develop responsive website layouts, imagery and graphics (wireframes, design concepts, icons, navigational symbols, charts/diagrams and style guides)
* Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks
* Sweat over the visual details (typography, composition, hierarchy, color, consistency, etc.) and communicate effectively why they matter
* Educate customers using compelling visual story telling strategies and techniques
* Collaborate with copywriters and editors to ensure content integrates with the visual approach
* Create and publish page layouts using Adobe Experience Manager (AEM)
* Research and enhance photography for use on promotional content pages
* Optimize photos, logos, banners and other graphical elements
* Design and create illustrations and graphical elements to support content needs
* Develop designs that reflect the Brand guidelines
* Work on small teams and wear multiple hats, from design to production
* Work with Customer Experience team to identify and implement design solutions
* Strong foundation and experience in design, layout, typography and customer experience
* Thorough knowledge of e-commerce website and mobile interfaces and GUI design
* Follow existing creative direction on projects as well as develop new creative
* Strong working knowledge of image optimization and graphical file formats
* Understanding of functional navigation elements and designing for optimal user experience
* Understanding of best practices in graphic and web design, and website usability and accessibility
* Proven understanding of HTML, CSS and designing component for Content Management Systems. Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) knowledge preferred
* Skilled in web and mobile best practices, browser differences and cross platform standards
* Detail-oriented and highly developed organizational skills; ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
* Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator) and other design tools
* Passion for emerging technology and hunger to innovate
* Stay current with industry design standards, best practices, technologies, tools and trends
* Experience developing responsive web sites using HTML5, CSS3
* Strong understanding of designing and demonstrating microinteractions
* Background in website writing and editing a plus
* Effectively prioritize and execute tasks on short deadlines.
* Strong time and project management skills with ability to multi-task
* Bachelor's Degree in Visual Arts/Graphic Design
* 6+ years of graphic design experience
* Demonstrated visual design experience delivering high-volume, high-profile or award-winning e-commerce websites or products; experience in web design, branding and marketing
* Skill working with web development teams and directing the design process while understanding the technology and front-end development
* Experience in travel industry
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Marketing || No Additional
Amtrak is a provider of intercity passenger rail services.