Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Amtrak OIG is not a Federal agency. Our employment opportunities are not federal jobs.
Join with the Inspector General to help make America's railroad operate more efficiently and effectively. We are seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference. By conducting or supporting independent, objective audits and investigations of the programs and operations of the National Passenger Railroad Corporation (Amtrak), you could directly contribute to our mission of providing independent, objective oversight of Amtrak's programs and operations; preventing and detecting fraud, waste, and abuse; and providing Congress, Amtrak management, and Amtrak's Board of Directors with timely analysis about Amtrak's programs and operations. Join us as we continue to build a model OIG centered on independence, teamwork, diversity, work-life balance, and value-added oversight. Next stop…the Amtrak Office of Inspector General!
The Digital Forensics Examiner is responsible for providing digital forensics investigative support pertaining to fraud and any other misconduct or abuse involving Amtrak programs and operations. The incumbent is responsible for digital evidence collection and comprehensive analysis in support of complex/sensitive criminal, civil, and administrative investigations.
* Collaborates with Criminal Investigators in gathering and analyzing digital evidence in criminal and noncriminal cases of the highest importance to Amtrak.
* Provides advanced digital forensic support through the analysis of electronic evidence. Conducts computer and mobile forensic examinations that are consistent with those standards established by Amtrak OIG, as well as reflective of current trends and techniques within the law enforcement, OIG, and professional communities. This may include the testing of forensic software and other appropriate automated analytical tools to meet diverse investigative requirements.
* Assists Special Agents with investigations into intrusions of Amtrak systems or fraud, waste and abuse within Departmental programs, where a computer or other electronic means is used in the commission of a crime.
* Prepares interim and comprehensive final forensic reports for case agents, prosecutors, investigators, and/or management officials in accordance with Amtrak-OIG policies and procedures.
* Troubleshoots software and hardware for deployment of forensic and other analytical tools managing configuration issues of moderate complexity.
* Plans and carries out difficult and complex assignments and develops new methods, approaches, and procedures, and provides advice and guidance on a wide range and variety of IT issues. Interprets IT policies, standards, and guidelines. Conducts analyses and recommends resolutions of complex issues affecting the specialty area.
* Serves as liaison with vendors dealing with resolving maintenance issues or upgrading systems. Ensures technical conformance to the agency's requirements and policies involving technology development/modernization efforts.
* Assists in the gathering and analysis of firewall data, network and computer logs along with other data gathered via Security Information and Event Management Systems in order to identify computer compromises and other anomalies pertaining to computer fraud and/or sensitive data loss.
* Participates in professional development, including digital forensic associations and scientific symposiums or working groups. Incumbent participates in national or regional computer forensic associations. Maintains certifications in related forensic disciplines as necessary.
* Testifies before Grand Juries, courts of law, or administrative hearings in support of forensic examinations, opinions, or other investigative matters. This includes producing comprehensive reports and illustrative materials for Federal, State, or Local judicial proceedings at a level sufficient to explain complex electronic evidence interpretation and conclusions. Qualified as a witness in digital forensic examination procedures and outcomes.
* Advanced knowledge and mastery of the full range of tools and procedures to plan and execute digital forensic examinations, gather and copy data either locally or remotely, search for and cross-validate evidence, and document findings.
* Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or other related field.
* Must have at least 7 years of relevant experience.
* Demonstrated proficiency in computer hardware and software including multiple digital forensics software and hardware components.
* Knowledge and ability to plan and conduct advanced and unconventional digital forensic investigations that have elements presenting difficult challenges and multitasking.
* Knowledge of technological and legal trends or situations that have potentially significant repercussions to computer forensic investigations including current policies, regulations and procedures, proposed legislation, court decisions, special intelligence, and technological changes that could affect the agency operations or policies.
* Advanced knowledge in computer hardware and multiple operating systems, such as Windows, Unix, Linux, Apple, as well as software and mobile device technologies, especially as it impacts digital forensic activities.
* Knowledge of Federal criminal and civil law, practice and procedure.
* Must have good written and verbal communication skills in the preparation of forensics reports and oral testimony in court or other legal proceedings.
* Experience or trained in testifying in criminal, civil, or administrative trials/hearings.
* Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment with minimal supervision.
* Must be able to maintain composure in stressful situations and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
* Ability to multi-task with attention to detail.
* Analytical, problem solving and project management skills.
* Master's Degree in Business Administration, Digital Forensics, Computer Science, Information Technology or other related field.
* Professional certifications preferred in digital forensics discipline, digital forensics software, or IT/networks.
* Background in criminal investigation or law enforcement.
* Broad knowledge of the laws, practices and procedures of Federal Inspector General Offices.
* Strong technical knowledge including investigative computer forensics support experience with an emphasis on complex network-based cyber investigations including understanding of computer/infrastructure vulnerabilities and threats.
* Familiarity with passenger rail operations and/or transportation operations.
Yes - 30%
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Government Affairs
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Government Affairs || Office of Inspector General Jobs
Amtrak is a provider of intercity passenger rail services.