For more than 117 years, Chicago-based USG has been a leader in producing innovative, award-winning products and systems to build everything from major commercial developments and residential housing to home improvements. USG's nearly 7,000 employees are committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and quality in everything we do. Our steadfast commitment to the company's core business values - innovation, quality, integrity, service, diversity, efficiency and safety - have helped us become the company we are today.
As a company with $3B in revenues and an enhanced IT budget, we're big enough that our IT professionals have the resources to make a difference - thanks to our large investments in transformative technology projects, the ability to work on significant deployments such as sales force automation, and our commitment to professional development. And we're small enough that you're not just a number - you'll have influence and build strong relationships with our internal customers to successfully complete vital projects. USG offers work-life balance, stability, self-determined career paths, promotion from within, low turnover, exceptional benefits, a dynamic environment, and incredible long-term career opportunities for the right IT professionals.
This application development team position focuses on providing solutions to the manufacturing, engineering and research business teams through configuration, enhancements and customizations of 3rd party and custom applications. Activities of this role include working closely with business customers, understanding their processes, assisting in gathering functional requirements, converting those requirements into technical specifications, developing and deploying these solutions.
* Expert in Microsoft Visual Studio, .Net, SQL Server, VB.net, and web development.
* Experience with architecting, developing, and supporting applications in a manufacturing environment as well as understanding manufacturing processes and priorities is preferred.
* Knowledge of SharePoint, development for mobile platforms, MVC, entity framework, Bootstrap, and development in an Oracle database environment (PLSQL) desired.
* Knowledge of OPC for manufacturing process control systems desired.
* Knowledge of Wonderware historian and statistical process and quality control desired.
* Knowledge of Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) or Manufacturing Operations Management (MOM) systems desired.
* Actively contributes / leads the development of applications including the architecture/design, development, and unit and integration testing for manufacturing, engineering and research, individually and as part of a team.
* Understands and can learn processes in manufacturing, engineering and research areas; uses this knowledge and strong analysis skills to plan and build roadmap for future applications.
* Proficiently operates at a strategic level and deals with abstract concepts.
* Engages in two-way communications with business personnel to understand their needs and educate on how to best use the existing systems.
* Identifies and resolves issues with business applications, both the symptoms and the root causes.
* Assists with building the applications team by listening, learning, interacting, and teaching individuals and groups.
* Actively contributes / leads the development of application design process, code deliverables, and unit and integration testing.
* Leads change from inception through acceptance.
* Anticipates customer challenges and develops solutions and knows internal customers' priorities.
* Contributes to business case development.
* Provides subject matter expertise into the planning processes.
* Assists in preparing estimated work efforts for tasks assigned.
* Participates in various projects and adheres to project schedules.
* Ensures product delivery and quality through use of timelines, spreadsheets, and change management documentation.
* Communicates with internal customers seeking first to understand and only then to be understood; uses terms that the customer is able to understand.
* Developing Others: Assists less experienced team members as directed or required.
* Teamwork: Works effectively with the business customers, operations, architecture, and QA to develop and implement solutions in a timely manner.
* Performs additional responsibilities as assigned.
Nature and Scope:
* No supervisory responsibility.
* Works under general supervision, relying on experience and judgment to accomplish assigned goals.
* Participates in projects of all sizes
* Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills. Self sufficient customer facing skills that foster a 'trusted advisor' relationship with business is a must.
* Minimum of 5 years experience developing and supporting software based on Microsoft technologies (Microsoft Visual Studio, .Net, Microsoft SQL Server, VB.net, and web development)
* Full knowledge of systems lifecycle development methodologies.
* Excellent troubleshooting skills and handling of production support issues.
* On call during non-business hours on a rotating schedule is must.
* Desire to learn about applications and business processes.
* Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
* Experience developing and maintaining solutions in a manufacturing environment
* Knowledge of Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) or Manufacturing Operations Management (MOM) systems.
* Understanding of SQL performance tuning.
* Knowledge of Project Management processes/best practices.
* Knowledge of MVC, entity framework and Bootstrap desired.
* Knowledge of SharePoint.
* Knowledge of development for mobile platforms.
* Knowledge of development in an Oracle database environment (PLSQL).
* Knowledge of OPC for manufacturing process control systems.
* Knowledge of Wonderware historian and statistical process and quality control.
USG Corporation is a manufacturer and distributor of building materials.