USG is an industry-leading manufacturer of building products and innovative systems. For more than 115 years, Chicago-based USG has developed award-winning building products and innovation solutions that enable customers to build the outstanding spaces where people live and do business. With almost 7,000 employees across North America and operations around the world, we are steadfastly committed to our core values: safety, innovation, quality, integrity, service, diversity and efficiency.
We recognize the importance of a strong IT department and are committed to investments in transformative technology projects. As a member of USG's IT team, you'll have an opportunity to work on a number of significant deployments. We're big enough that our professionals have the resources to make a difference, yet small enough that you're not just a number. You'll work on key initiatives and build strong relationships across the company that will drive the future of USG.
USG offers work-life balance, specialist and general/managerial career paths, promotion from within, exceptional benefits, and incredible long-term career opportunities for the right IT professionals. Each year, we have hundreds of employees who celebrate milestone anniversaries with us - find out how you can join our team and build your career with USG: http://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/en/about-usg/careers.html.
USG is looking for a highly talented and motivated Cloud Architect with expertise in data modeling, advanced analytics and big data platforms. This position will be part of the IT Architecture team, and will be responsible for guiding business and IT stakeholders to realize impactful business outcomes leveraging data as an asset. The candidate needs to be passionate about data analytics and the value it can bring to our business.
* Architect, design, and develop data platform in the AWS cloud based on data lake architecture and design
* Collaborate and drive to mature data/information architecture in the enterprise
* Understand and recommend optimal database designs in the cloud for new developments
* Understand and recommend optimal database designs for on-premise data migration to cloud-based solution
* Define, in collaboration with cross-team members in the organization, policies, principles, standards, best practices, and guidelines for overall data architecture and design to enable cloud data governance
* Assess trends in the areas of information management and analytics, and communicate relevant concepts and implications to business and IT stakeholders to inform business and IT strategy.
* Identify and present new technology solutions to enable business and IT strategy.
* Work with business subject matter experts to explore data and uncover potential opportunities within the company to apply machine learning techniques.
* Work with different groups within USG such as Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and Finance, on the development of project solution designs related to business intelligence, big data, and advanced analytics
* Provide technical leadership on projects throughout the solution delivery lifecycle.
* Design applications to deploy statistical models into operations to predict outcomes or constrain optimization problems.
* Develop visualizations to convey explorative findings and support business case development.
* Use statistical methods to model certain data relationships or physical phenomenon.
* Build partnerships and relationships with USG business and IT leadership.
* BS in Computer Science or related field required; Masters in Data Science, Applied Statistics, or Computer Science preferred
* 2 years hands-on AWS Data lake development and implementation experience
* Knowledge of different data base and storage options in AWS
* Understanding of and preferable experience with data streaming technologies and real time analytics
* AWS development skills including EMR, S3, Lambda, IAM, Redshift, RDS, Kinesis, Glue, CloudFormation, etc.
* Excellent leadership, communication, and relationship skills to articulate advanced technical topics and build consensus among senior business and technical stakeholders
* Ability to translate highly complex and ambiguous problems into actionable components and recommendations to drive solutions; ability to influence others without direct authority
* Expertise in data modeling and at least one of the programming languages that are well suited for working with large data sets such as SAS, Python, SQL, and Hadoop ecosystem technologies
* Experience with machine learning software such as SAS, Python, R, and KNIME
* Experience with data exploration and visualization tools such as SAS Visual Analytics, Tableau, and Microsoft PowerBI preferred
* Must be self-starting, assertive, resourceful, creative, and willing to take risks in pursuit of uncovering new ways to derive value from analytics
USG Corporation is a manufacturer and distributor of building materials.