Take Yahoo and AOL, fuse them and you get a media and technology company operating at massive global scale. It takes powerful technology to connect our combined media brands and partners with an audience of 1 billion. Nearly half of Oath's employees are building the code and platforms that help us achieve that. And we're only getting bigger. Whether you're looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process 4 trillion data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business-and the world. Want in? The largest business and financial news site in the world, with unrivaled access to data, insights and original editorial content.
A Little About Us
Yahoo! Finance is the #1 Finance site on the Internet - attracting over 70 million users across the globe with more than 40 million in the US alone. We are the destination of choice for investors around the world. Yahoo! Finance offers a rich set of content, from our highly acclaimed originals to online-only video segments to our tremendous array of licensed material. We track millions of transactions each minute, providing world-class data to enable our users to make informed investment decisions. Working with us, you will have an opportunity to affect millions of people each day. We are looking for someone extraordinary to join our team in New York City -- is that you?
As a DevOps Engineer, Production Engineering (PE) you will have ownership of designing and leading the delivery of key components of Yahoo! Finance and supporting infrastructure to meet the high quality and performance bars. The team is the power behind engineering goodness for our production systems. By writing, designing and implementing software to drive velocity, operability, reliability and performance, the team ensures continuous quality on production systems as we embed deeply in the many layers and stages of software development.
Yes, we are DevOps! We are all about: 1) Enabling a culture of ownership and excellence, 2) Engineering process that are Automated and Agile, 3) Developing tools that are Self-Serve and (Re)Usable. Our mission is to: 1) Deliver products to market quickly, 2) Prevent defects from reaching customers, 3) Repair production issues quickly. If you believe in the above, come join us.
A Lot About You
At Oath which owns Yahoo Finance Brand, we want engineers that are self starters and problem solvers with ability to do so with new and legacy code. Using innovative ideas to solve complex issues, while integrating easily with the running ecosystem, is a key trait that will fit very well in the organization. As a member of the PE team, you will drive such innovations with your developer partners and provide the operability arm by treating software as a first order responsibility.
We are looking for software engineers who:
* Have a passion for solving difficult technical problems, from the network to the application stack
* Like to relentlessly automate everything and anything at scale (tens of thousands of servers)
* Have a curious mind and love spending time trying to figure out how something works, not stopping with just knowing what it does
* Want to make web applications and back-end systems faster, more reliable, more efficient
* Think outside the box to build systems that collect, instrument, analyse data and provide insights about the system
* Thrive on fast-paced projects, enjoy having broad and deep technical knowledge and are driven to iterate with new technologies
* Manage production services at vast scale and their associated infrastructure and tools
* Support the operability roadmap to improve the availability, performance, scalability and efficiency of the services by implementing monitoring, automation, redundancy, capacity and business continuity planning
* Work on challenging system and network problems to improve system performance and reliability
* Implement and maintain monitoring to provide complete transparency to application and system state, history, and trends
* Participation in on-call rotation - drive incident resolution, live troubleshooting and impact mitigation
* BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent degree
* At least 3 years experience in DevOps or Software Development roles
* Intermediate to advanced level of coding expertise in one or more language including Java, Python, Go, Ruby or Node
* Good knowledge of TCP/IP and networking
* Solid experience with writing, understanding and enhancing algorithms, data structures, scripting, and software design practices
* Experience with building CI/CD pipelines is a plus
* Experience with containers and cloud technologies like Docker, Kubernetes is a plus
* Experience with AWS is a plus
* Experience in HAProxy/ATS/Ngnix is a plus
* Deep understanding of UNIX/Linux system internals and tools for troubleshooting application stack dumps and networking
* Experience in supporting cloud-based virtualization and platforms, big data technologies (Apache Storm, Hadoop, Hbase) is a strong plus
* Experience in supporting search platforms like Elastic Search is a strong plus
Oath, a subsidiary of Verizon, is a values-led company committed to building brands people love. We reach over one billion people around the world with a dynamic house of 50+ media and technology brands. A global leader in digital and mobile, Oath is shaping the future of media.
Oath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Oath is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. Please let us know if you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or participate in the application process.
Currently work for Oath? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media
Verizon Media (formerly Oath) is a company operating media, technology, and communication brands.