Mercury General Corporation
Essential Job Functions:
* Lead and mentor other database administrators to assist in the implementation of IT initiatives. Proactively
support database project management during the implementation of new initiatives and software
development activities. Design and implement logical and physical data models in order to construct and
operate highly optimized OLTP, ODS, data warehouse and reporting databases.
* Perform complex physical and logical database engineering and administration activities including
database related project management, installation, administration, performance management, monitoring,
backup, restoring, and change management of company's mission critical RDBMS systems under minimal
direction or supervision
* Utilize SQL language extensively to design complex database performance solutions and manage large
database related projects during tuning and database upgrades
* Ensure optimal database performance and availability through database support. Leads the acquisition and
implementation of new database technologies and applications across the company.
* BS Computer Science or a related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience
* Certification in management of database platforms is a plus
* Minimum of ten (10) years of SQL language experience and database administration expertise as well as extensive training in implementation, security, administration and tuning of various database management systems.
* Direct Experience with:
* Installation and management of Microsoft SQL 2012 or higher cluster with 3 or more physical nodes
* SQL hosted on VMWare
* Database size of 5+ TB
* SQL Always-on technology
* Table partitioning technology
* SQL server upgrade and security patching
* Compliance management: SOX, PCI (access control, encryption, activity monitoring, data loss prevention)
* Strong experience on SQL 2012 or higher database administration
* Experience working in an environment with well-defined Change Management processes
* Strong SQL Tuning, performance analysis and troubleshooting skills
* Process oriented, strong on documentation and standards
Knowledge and Skills
* Strong commitment to meeting deadlines and providing independent and sound technical solutions to problem solve or launch new initiatives.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision to design, implement, tune and upgrade various database platforms
* Advanced experience with the leading large relational databases such as SQLServer, Oracle or DB2.
* Demonstrated follow through, ability to independently and proactively administer databases and collaborate with other
IT staff during problem resolution processes.
* Ability to work on demand to provide 7x24 mission critical support.
* Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with an acute ability to communicate effectively
throughout all levels of the organization and with external partners.
* Strong knowledge of database security administration. Strong ability to mitigate risks to database security and risks
arising from loss of data.
* Ability to thrive in cross functional matrix environment.
* Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills
About Mercury General Corporation
Mercury General Corporation is the insurance organization, engaging in personal, automobile, homeowners, renters and business insurance.