At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
As an engineer on the team, you will be building mobile libraries and components around collection and in-app use of phone sensors. This data collected here enables some of the most important parts of Uber's business - Fares, Matching, Safety, Pickup Experience, and more. Additionally, as we look to move more of machine learning to mobile devices, you will be working closely with the mobile and ML engineers to enable this.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Design and build libraries that are used in all Uber apps (Rider, Driver, Eats, Freight, etc) used by millions of people
* Worked closely with Android counterparts to ensure that we are offering the experience to our users regardless of mobile OS
* Evaluate and build solutions for doing ML at scale directly on iOS devices
* Build protocols to collect data from non-phone devices like the Uber Beacon
What You'll Need
* Strong programming skills in iOS (Obj-C and Swift) and 3+ years of professional industry experience
* Deep understanding of iOS SDK
* Expertise designing frameworks and SDK used that will be used by other iOS developers at Uber
* Experience analyzing a feature in production through analytics and experimentation
* Desire to learn new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
* A belief that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
Bonus Point if
* You have experience working with sensor or other time-series data (audiovisual, barometric, etc)
* You have for C/C++ familiarity
* You have developed solutions that work across Android and iOS ecosystems
About the Team
Uber is deeply rooted in the physical world -- our business requires a clear understanding of complicated real-world interactions and behaviors. The Sensing and Perception team seeks to understand these interactions about every trip through the use of sensors.
We create actionable insights that our partner product teams (Rider, Driver, Eats, Safety et al) use to improve customer and trip experiences. We do this by researching new models and algorithms and building platforms to serve our insights to customers at Uber scale.
This team is responsible for collecting and processing sensor data including GPS, IMU, Barometer, and more across phones and other Driver devices. Our team owns the core location pipeline ("Blue-Dot") at Uber that drives decisions across systems like ETA, Traffic, Routing, Safety, Fares, Matching and more.
We are part of a newly created org - UberAI - whose mission is to "to transform data into intelligence by pushing the frontiers of research, developing high quality scalable platforms, and collaborating on innovative applications."
Come join our team!
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.