For most people, the challenge and inconvenience of writing well on mobile is one of the biggest barriers to using their phones for professional communication. That's why we built the Grammarly Keyboard for Android: to bring effective and mistake-free writing to mobile devices. Since launching in 2017, we've gained stellar traction - our users are using the keyboard more than 50 times per day.
But while the keyboard may look simple, it's extremely challenging to execute flawlessly. A one-second delay after you hit a button in an app might be ok, but would you use a keyboard that didn't respond instantly to your touch? When you build a product that can respond instantly while running machine learning models and continuously communicating with servers in one tenth of a second, it becomes even more challenging to deliver a delightful user experience.
We are looking for an experienced Android Engineer who will help us level up the Grammarly Keyboard and its companion app to a world-class user experience. You will partner closely with the design team from the ideation stage to ultimately bring your ideas to life.
What You Will Accomplish
* Contribute to the continuing architecture of the app.
* Collaborate with the team to design and build new features.
* Ensure the quality and responsiveness of the app.
* Diagnose performance issues, fix bugs to increase the functionality of new applications.
* Deliver a smooth experience in a resource-constrained environment.
Talents You Bring to the Team
* You embody our E.A.G.E.R. values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, Remarkable).
* Strong knowledge of latest Android SDK features.
* Design, build, and maintain high performance, reusable, and reliable Java code. Knowledge of Kotlin is a plus but not required.
* Strong knowledge of UI architecture approaches (MVC, MVP, MVVM) and custom UI elements.
* Proficient understanding of Android Material Design Guidelines.
* Understanding of the nuances of fragments and Android XML layouts, and how to create adaptive interfaces that work for multiple device form factors.
* Knowledge of the open-source Android ecosystem and libraries available for common tasks.
* Familiarity with RESTful APIs and continuous integration.
* Strong knowledge of multithreading and memory and performance tuning.
* Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
* CS and algorithmic background is required.
What Grammarly Offers You
* Big goals, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and meaningful feedback.
* Project exposure and ownership that impacts our world, users, product, colleagues, and business.
* Healthcare, communication coaching, and great coworkers!
Grammarly's AI-powered products help people communicate more effectively. Grammarly is available in a variety of writing interfaces, including browser and desktop integrations to help users in both their personal and professional lives, whether they are communicating through email or social media, applying for jobs, or even filling out online dating profiles. It also increases productivity and efficiency for professionals in a wide range of fields, including marketing, sales, engineering, customer support, and education. Grammarly is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York and Kyiv.
The diverse experiences, ideas, and identities of Grammarly's team members help us make better decisions and drive great results for our users. We foster an inclusive work environment that welcomes team members of all backgrounds and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we evaluate candidates based solely on talents, skills, and knowledge. Grammarly participates in E-Verify.
Grammarly offers a tool that corrects contextual spelling mistakes, checks for common grammar errors, and provides citation suggestions.