At Grammarly, we believe that everyone should be heard and understood. We know that clear and effective communication improves people's lives-and we want to help everyone improve their communication. That's why we've built an AI-powered writing assistant: to help the world's 2 billion English speakers feel more confident in communicating clearly and effectively. So far, we've created a product used by more than 20 million people around the world every day. Join us to reach the next 100 million.
To get to that goal, we're looking for a curious Computational Linguist with an interest in Natural Language Processing, a passion for English, and an excellent knowledge of grammar. The role is vital to our ambitious journey to help people worldwide improve their communication, and the work will influence our product roadmap and help chart the course for the future of our company.
To process natural language texts properly, we need to understand how the language functions, how it is learned, and how it evolves. This role will join our team of computational linguists and research engineers working with complex algorithms for detecting and correcting errors, ambiguities, and inefficiencies in natural language texts. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing exponentially, and we're excited about growing and diversifying our team.
At Grammarly, our impact comes from a strong culture with highly engaged, highly motivated team members. We hire exceptional people and reward them with trust, autonomy, mentorship, and the freedom to grow into their roles. We're a passionate, growing team on a mission to improve lives by improving communication. If you're up for the challenge, we would love to meet you!
* Use rule-based and statistical methods in NLP to develop error-correction,style-improvement, consistency, and clarity checks as well as tone and sensitivity suggestions.
* Conduct research on a variety of tasks, work with large corpora, and design new algorithms.
* Research different modes, genres, and styles of writing to improve Grammarly's performance.
* Improve current text processing tools and implement new ones.
* Coordinate resource-creation projects.
* Mentor junior computational linguists.
* Deepen knowledge and skills in NLP, and develop ML skills, depending on career trajectory.
This is the right opportunity for you if
* Embody our E.A.G.E.R values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, and Remarkable).
* Hold an MS or PhD in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or another linguistics-related discipline.
* Are fluent in English and have a great understanding of English grammar, syntax, semantics, and usage, especially for writing.
* Have at least three years of experience in Computational Linguistics/NLP.
* Have substantial experience in at least one programming language as well as working knowledge of NLP libraries and understanding of statistical methods in NLP.
* Value and practice strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. Experience teaching English as a first or a second language is preferred.
It almost goes without saying that we'll offer you
* Big goals, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and meaningful feedback.
* Project exposure and ownership that impact our world, users, product, colleagues, and business.
* Health care, 401(k), communication coaching, and great coworkers!
Our commitment to diversity
The diverse experiences, ideas, and identities of Grammarly's team members help us make better decisions and drive great results for our users. We foster an inclusive work environment that welcomes team members of all backgrounds and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we evaluate candidates based solely on talents, skills, and knowledge. Grammarly participates in E-Verify.
Grammarly offers a tool that corrects contextual spelling mistakes, checks for common grammar errors, and provides citation suggestions.