BlackSky, a division of Spaceflight Industries, is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. Blacksky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of geointelligence and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics.
BlackSky is operating and deploying a constellation of high resolution imaging spacecraft to image the planet in near real time. Our business is rapidly expanding and we require experienced, creative, energetic leaders to drive mission execution and success. We require exceptional individuals who desire to work in a fast paced, highly technical environment. Candidates must be self-motivated and demonstrate personal commitment and dedication to leading others to successful project completion.
Join the Ground Software team as an individual contributor. Be responsible for continuing design and development of a satellite communication , constellation management system that orchestrates cloud and ground station components to control and task a constellation of earth imaging satellites as well as new product development involving image processing and machine learning. Work with a combination of hardware and software components that run on lights-out ground stations as well in the cloud. Work with aerospace experts to determine software needs needs and how to integration them into the holistic constellation management and processing platform. Be integral to the design, development, deployment and operation of the system.
Development will be on a Linux/Python 3.6 stack involving continuous integration and delivery, Docker, microservices architecture, time series databases, use of and contributions to open source, integration with monitoring & alerting systems, and dealing with large data flows.
* Design and implement major components of the system
* Work with aerospace architects, program managers, and other team members to gather and refine requirements
* Work with software architects and constellation engineers to define satellite maintenance and control.
* Conduct design reviews
* Be responsible for all aspects of the system - no responsibility silos
* Write test plans and unit tests. Coordinate with testers on complex integration tests
* Ensure that all components communicate and interoperate reliably
* Help choose which technologies/frameworks are used for internal applications
* Work with outside contractors and partners to ensure that APIs meet our needs
* Work with integration testers to develop test plans that ensure adequate testing of units and the complete system
* Work with DevOps on automated deployment and monitoring
* 4+ years of experience delivering and maintaining commercial software in a production environment; familiarity with agile methodologies, software development and release life cycles, source control and change management. More senior candidates highly encouraged to apply.
* Demonstrated ability to work across the team, skill sets, and company to drive features to completion
* Must be able to work with minimal supervision
* Minimum of Bachelors of Science in CS, CE, Engineering, EE, Physics or Math or equivalent work experience
* Space industry experience not required. Expert software development skills are.
* Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder only). This requirement cannot be waived.
* Linux and Python 3.6 experience (Can substitute earlier Python, cloud, C++ or Java experience)
* Familiarity with Docker
* Familiarity with open source
* DevOps experience
* Enterprise level monitoring and alerting experience
* Time series data and database experience
* Familiarity with automated code review processes
Spaceflight Industries is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
About Spaceflight Industries
Spaceflight Industries is a space company that combines satellite design, rideshare launch offerings, and geospatial intelligence services.