Thermo Fisher Scientific
Job ID :
US - California - South San Francisco
Senior Staff Scientist R&D: Systems Integration
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
South San Francisco, CA
How will you make an impact?
The Genetic Sciences Division of Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking a talented individual to join the R&D organization to manage and lead a team of scientists to evolve existing products and explore new technologies to support the development of capillary electrophoresis for use in genetic analysis. Candidates should have a proven track record experience developing products from ideation to commercialization in a phase gate process, demonstrate ability to innovate new product ideas and proven ability to work in a matrixed organization. Experience in successfully managing and motivating PhD/Masters level scientists is desired and collaboration and interface with a wide range of groups will be expected including R&D, Engineering, Software, Product Management, Program Management, Operations, customers and OEM partners.
What will you do?
* Lead the technical development, integration and testing of new capillary electrophoresis instrumentation for genetic analysis.
* Manage a group of scientists working on systems integration and prototype testing.
* Contribute to strategic planning and help to set the direction for the business unit.
* Work with Product Management and R&D Leadership to build compelling technical and business cases for new products.
* Work with OEM partners in development of new genetic analysis platforms.
* Drive innovation through collaboration with scientists from different disciplines.
* Present project updates to colleagues and management & represent the company at customer facing meetings and scientific conferences.
* Critically analyze complex data, interpret & integrate experimental results with project objectives.
* Support engineering changes to sustain product manufacturing.
* Support on-market product activities.
How will you get here?
A PhD or Master's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related field
* 5+ years of industry experience with a focus on developing life science instruments.
* Experience leading a team of PhD / Master's level scientists.
* Experience developing IVD products an advantage.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Strong understanding of genetic analysis technologies including qPCR, Capillary Electrophoresis and Next Gen Sequencing.
* Demonstrated ability to work with and troubleshoot prototype instrumentation.
* Capability to create an R&D environment that drives innovation, integrity, intensity and involvement. Can lead a cross functional team with a diverse set of scientific expertise and educational backgrounds. Can work effectively in a matrix organization and has capability to influence and inspire across the organization.
* Excellent writing skills and communication including creation of technical documentation to support product development.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific is a global provider of laboratory products and services, life science solutions, analytical instruments, and specialty diagnostics.