Are you looking for a fast-moving environment, in which you can make a difference? Are you able to apply your creativity and your brilliance to solve difficult problems? Are you ready to work with a team of top rate engineers?
The Windows Kernel runs 1 billion computers with architectures scaling from small single core ARM devices to core behemoths running Windows Server. This is also the same kernel that powers Xbox, IoT devices, and PCs.
Our team owns and is responsible for all the software aspects of the kernel; this includes the scheduler, memory management, process management, UWP app lifecycle management, and variety of OS security features such as VBS, Enclaves, and mitigations for spectre and meltdown vulnerabilities. In addition to making Windows kernel more secure, robust and scalable, our team also invests heavily in moonshot projects such as Windows 10 on ARM and Containerization; both which assist our Windows ecosystem grow and attract new customers. These projects make our team among the most innovative in the industry.
Our team is bringing the full power of Windows to the ARM architecture. The same ARM processors that power smartphones are now capable of running the full Windows operating system. The kernel team is partnering with top OEMs to ship ARM PCs that run full Windows OS, offer 20+ hours of battery life, and provide built-in LTE connectivity. Our team builds this platform and influences the end-to-end scenario, including solving technical problems such as performance and app compatibility, collaborating with partners and customers to address these issues, and analyzing data to determine creative new product and feature ideas.
In addition to driving ARM PCs initiative, the kernel team is also spearheading additional ARM64 initiatives that expand into other business opportunities.
Ultimately these initiatives will help modernize the PC ecosystem and cloud computing; and you will have the opportunity to play a key role in this effort.
The kernel team is seeking a candidate with exceptional abilities to understand customer needs and create a product vision. Simultaneously you must be the engine for progress both for software development and an integration effort that spans across Microsoft and our partners. You will play a key role in envisioning, building and shipping new scenarios that leverage the power of ARM architecture and Windows x86 application ecosystem.
For more info on Windows 10 on ARM with x86 emulation, see the following resources:
* 4+ years of engineering program management leadership or large-scale operations experience
* Strong track record of delivering complex large-scale features with lots of cross team dependencies
* Demonstrated strong performance in prior roles, with increasing levels of responsibility and independence
BS/BA degree, MS preferred in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings:
* Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.
Responsibilities and Success Metrics
* Building a strong, customer focused vision and roadmap for core efforts in Windows Client.
* Depth engagement with stakeholders resulting in technical requirements from current business problems.
* Planning and executing software development using Agile processes.
* On-time delivery that results in software that meets stakeholder requirements and customer expectations. The ability to apply metrics to measure this outcome.
* Effectively communicating complex ideas to audiences with various technical backgrounds.
* Hands-on, using the software we build to root cause issues, create demonstrations, gain design insights and educate partners and customers.
* Effectively communicate complex ideas to audiences with various technical backgrounds.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.