What you'll be doing...
The person in this position will be responsible for managing a multi-disciplinary technical team consisting of software engineering functions for new feature development and system maintenance.
Major responsibilities include:
* Manage a software engineering team performing new feature development and maintenance of a large-scale, high-throughput data processing system consisting of hundreds of servers.
* Lead the team in managing workflow using Agile processes and tools.
* Guide and manage system integration involving hardware, software, network, and database components.
* Work with project managers and technical team to understand and solve challenging technical problems in order to define solutions with effort estimates.
* Collaborate with network engineering and field engineering teams.
* Interface with customers to learn and understand requirements as well as describe proposed solutions, providing both pre-sales and post-sales support.
* Manage integration of applications and services with enterprise tools such as Network Management Systems and Security Information and Event Monitoring Systems.
* Promote continuous improvement of the environment through new tools for automation, monitoring, and rapid deployment.
* Review and approve system solution description documents.
* Mentor, coach, and guide team performance.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Six or more years of relevant work experience.
* Hands-on Software Engineering and management experience.
Event Better if you have:
* Experience managing and mentoring technical software engineering and system engineering teams providing new development as well as operational support.
* 8+ years of experience in building and supporting large-scale, complex multi-server software systems on the Linux platform.
* Hands-on experience with the following:
* Unix-based systems (Linux)
* Java, 'C', and Python programming
* Agile software processes (Kanban, Scrum)
* Experience developing systems using IP protocols like SMTP and DNS and traditional databases like MySQL.
* Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
* Experience with Agile tools such as Atlassian Jira.
* Experience with Big Data (Hadoop, Solr, HDFS, HBase, etc.).
* MS/MEng degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, or relevant engineering field, or exceptional hands-on computer system experience over extended period of time.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.