At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. We make this easy with a single platform that collects, stores, filters, transforms, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. More recently, we also developed the ability to let customers enrich their data in real time using computations they specify. Our goal is to make it easy to understand, extract value, and protect the integrity of data. We are creating a world where engineers spend their time working on their core product, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We're in the running to take over the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
Who we are:
We develop our product across a number of teams based in San Francisco and Vancouver, each with a particular product feature focus area. From collecting data through analytics.js, to building powerful tools for data governance, to implementing algorithms that can handle complex billing scenarios at scale, to visualizing our customers' data flow through our pipelines, to making complex implementations manageable for our large enterprise customers, to optimizing Sign Up conversion, our product teams are focused on creating fantastic user experiences. We're looking for talented engineers that are passionate about building world-class experiences that delight our customers.
What We Do:
* We build customer-facing features using React, TypeScript, Apollo, GraphQL, and our open source component library: Evergreen
* We implement high-performance data pipelines using Go and Kafka.
* We use a variety of data storage solutions such as Aurora, Redis and ClickHouse.
* We deploy our code multiple times per day using Docker, Terraform, and ECS.
* We love open source: https://open.segment.com
* We're proud of the code we write, but we're not dogmatic about methodologies or techniques. We believe building the "right thing" is more important than building things "right".However, we take our customers' dependence on our systems very seriously and strive to build highly performant and reliable software that are parts of our customers' core infrastructure.
Who We're Looking For:
You can turn complex business requirements into working software that our customers love to use.
* You're proud of the code you write, but you're also pragmatic.
* You know when it is time to refactor, and when it's time to ship.
* You're focused, driven and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
* You're empathetic, patient and love to help your teammates grow.
* You have experience running apps in production and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring and error tracking.
Projects You Could Work On:
* We're rethinking the way customers structure their Segment workspaces and manage granular access management policies. We're pushing authorization concerns to the edge for enhanced reliability.
* We're building powerful tools that help our customers protect the integrity of their data, and the decisions they make with it.
* We work on building and extending our Evergreen UI library that saves our engineers many hours a week.
* We're shipping cohesive app workflows and experiences that Wow our customers.
* We're scaling distributed systems and pipelines for streaming and batch processing.
* You have experience with a backend language of choice: Ruby, Python, Java, etc
* You have some familiarity with Golang or are excited to learn it.
* Minimum of 3 years of industry experience in engineering or some cool projects on GitHub you think we'll love to check out.
* You provide a deep understanding of the complexities involved in writing large single-page applications.
* You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
* You value teamwork and agree with the statement that "a team is a group of people who own each others' decisions".
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Segment is a company that develops a platform for collecting customer data.