Senior Data Scientist
About the Company
PlaceIQ is a leading data and technology provider that powers critical business and marketing decisions with location data, analytics and insights. An early industry pioneer, PlaceIQ has become the standard for fueling better decisions by marketers, analysts and publishers through powerful, location-based consumer insights, real-world measurement and attribution.
With PlaceIQ, companies can uncover opportunities within the consumer journey by learning about and connecting with location-based audiences, measuring real-world ROI and applying insights that drive intelligent marketing and successful business outcomes.
PlaceIQ Data Scientists design, prototype, and test algorithms that turn hundreds of TBs of raw location data into valuable products. Our approaches include raw data mining, data visualization, creation of heuristics, and supervised / unsupervised machine learning techniques. Working with extremely large data sets requires the design and development of highly memory and cpu efficient methods. We use a mixture of commercial, open source, and home-grown solutions. Experience with horizontally scaling statistical algorithms is a plus as is familiarity with Spark and/or the Hadoop ecosystem.
Our findings are built into PlaceIQ's core products. So the technical skills we look for are a mix of computer science, problem solving, and statistics. We are a collaborative team and work closely with engineering, so we value the ability to get deep into the math behind algorithms. We also work closely with teams across the organization, so we look for the ability to communicate technical ideas to non-technical teams. This role is based at our headquarters overlooking Bryant Park in NYC.
The Senior Data Scientist role is an evolution of the Data Scientist role that involves more responsibility in all dimensions. Senior Data Scientists are expected to have more impact, faster, and with less oversight. They are expected to find ways to contribute beyond the DS team and to advocate for DS work within the broader organization. Senior Data Scientists also should be able to share expertise within the DS team and mentor members of the analytics team.
Data Scientist Key Responsibilities:
* Design and prototyping of scalable algorithms
* Structuring, cleansing, and assessing the quality of data for downstream processing
* Functional and technical documentation of analysis, findings, and prototypes
* Collaboration with engineering team to productionize prototypes
* Communication of results to teams within PlaceIQ and customers
* Finding creative solutions to business problems then developing them into products
* Owning and driving projects with minimal guidance
Data Scientist Ways to stand out:
* Experience with our favorite tools - Scala, Spark, Python, AB testing, Bayesian statistics, Graphical Data Structures, Functional Programming
* Experience with tools we are exploring - Deep Learning, Probabilistic Graphical Models, Active Learning, Anomaly Detection, Image Classification
* Masters or PhD in a quantitative field
* Extensive background in math or statistics
Senior Data Scientist Qualifications (in addition to all of the above):
* Experience owning multiple large projects/data products
* Completing all research/design from initial question to proof of concept ready for productionization efficiently
* Documenting all findings, processes, and use cases for both a technical and non-technical audience
* Socializing results and advocating for use of findings
* Project management: prioritize work, propose milestones with due dates, produce results on schedule
* Additional contributions
* Owning side projects that help enrich the company
* Sharing knowledge, experience, and wisdom with the rest of the DS team
* Proposing new ideas for the DS team to work on and motivating them to be prioritized
* Interaction with other teams
* Persuading members of other teams based on DS findings
* Communicating results with other teams and ensuring that they understand well enough to communicate those results themselves
* Mentoring other members of the company
PlaceIQ powers critical business and marketing decisions with location data, analytics and insights.