Lead Software Engineer
PlaceIQ is a leading data and technology provider that powers critical business and marketing decisions with location data, analytics and insights. An early industry pioneer, PlaceIQ has become the standard for fueling better decisions by marketers, analysts and publishers through powerful, location-based consumer insights, real-world measurement and attribution.
With PlaceIQ, companies can uncover opportunities within the consumer journey by learning about and connecting with location-based audiences, measuring real-world ROI and applying insights that drive intelligent marketing and successful business outcomes.
Having already assembled an exceptionally skilled, diverse and passionate team of developers and data scientists, we are looking for world-class engineers that can (or are willing to learn how to…) do it all. From regression models/classification algorithms, complex data visualizations to geospatial clustering, a full stack enterprise targeting platform to big data analytics, PlaceIQ software engineers live for huge challenges and know how to deliver in a fast paced, agile environment. If you have a passion for imagining and building technology solutions that will make an immediate impact in an untapped space, we want to talk to you!
This is a hands-on technical leadership role for someone who can serve as both a key individual contributor as well as a leader/mentor for other members of the engineering team. You will personally own architecting, building, testing, deploying, and maintaining key components of our Location Analytics Platform. You will be working on the hardest, most delicate, time-sensitive and important pieces of our continually evolving stack. If a project/feature is high-visibility inside and outside of the company, it's likely that you will be on the hook for delivering.
At the same time, as a technical leader, the ideal candidate will bring the "right" mix of creativity and discipline to lead teams, evangelize key engineering practices, and/or architect and construct key aspects of our platform as it evolves and scales. Basically, in addition to working yourself to solve hard problems - act as a servant-leader to help others solve hard problems (and learn themselves to solve hard problems the right way).
At PlaceIQ, we empower our team members to extend beyond traditional functional boundaries so that we can build game-changing products. This means that our engineers work in cross-functional teams, and may need to put on many hats to move the ball forward. You may serve as a product manager helping to define and prioritize stories. Express your interest in Social Anthropology to uncover the hidden truths and behavioral patterns mined from petabytes of geospatial data. Test products (and write automated tests for products) to ensure what we build is what we intended - and what was needed. Document and train people on anything that we produce. Basically - whatever we need to do to ensure success, regardless of job title or experience - because everyone on the team is doing the same.
* Professional development experience with Apache Spark in a Hadoop Ecosystem with Scala.
* Strong experience in building ETL/Data-pipelines.
* Background with Data-Modeling, Data-Access and Data-Warehouse technologies.
* Understanding of Machine-Learning algorithms, and computational modeling
* Experience with distributed databases e.g.: Hbase, Cassandra, MongoDB with streaming platforms e.g.: Kafka, RabbitMQ, and good-old RDBMS e.g.: PostgreSQL.
* Experience in UNIX/Linux environments with Bash/Python scripting.
* Production Continuous-Integration experience with Jenkins, and building with Maven / Ant / SBT.
* Exposure to InfluxDB, visualization with Grafana, and with schedulers e.g., Azkaban, Oozie and Airflow is a Plus.
* Experience in an Agile Scrum software development environment.
* BA/BS/MS in Computer Science/Engineering or related technical field.
* Excellent problem solving and critical thinking
* Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
* Hands-on technical mastery
* Expert level command of modern development (especially re: high-performance/scale)
* Experience with techniques like DDD, TDD, CI, code-review, and iterative development
* Aptitude for coaching developers in practices and techniques
* A desire for and willingness to promote continuous improvement
* Understanding of Agile, and a focus on tight interaction with business and operations
* Servant-Leaders who can help good people work as good teams without micromanaging
* Experience with (and contributions to) open-source
* B.S./M.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Engineering (or outstanding professional experience)
PlaceIQ powers critical business and marketing decisions with location data, analytics and insights.