At HP, talent is our criteria. Join us in reinventing the standard for diversity and inclusion. Bring your awesomeness, and just be you!
The PageWide Industrial (PWI) Division has an opening for a Research and Development Software and Firmware Section Manager. The PWI Business participates in Commercial (i.e., Transaction, Direct Mail/Marketing, General Commercial Printing, and Publishing) and Corrugated (i.e., pre-print liner and corrugated sheet printing). Our value proposition to our customers is to Provide Outstanding Print Quality, Wide Application Versatility, and High Productivity with Superior Economics that lowers their Total Cost of Ownership and Protects their Long Term Investment. Our strategy is two-fold; move "analog" pages to our digital platforms based on superior cost/performance economics and grow new printed pages that take advantage of the benefits of digital (e.g., high variable data, mass serialization, linked technology with the internet of things). The role of this position is to develop the disruptive technology and solutions that support this strategy.
The major responsibilities include:
* Lead the Software and Firmware section of the R&D Lab, which includes Press Software, Digital Front End Software, Industrial Controls, and Firmware engineering, Software Program Management and New Platform Program Management
* Translate end-customer requirements into innovative technology developments across software, firmware and electronics that meet disruptive value propositions for our customers
* Lead the development of our new Commercial Platform utilizing HP phase gate development approaches
* Partner with the Operations teams for testing and quality improvements and customer support
* Partner with Business leadership, Services, Regional teams and Operations teams in critical customer facing engagements with new and existing customers
* Partner with other Graphics Solution Business (GSB) divisions to effectively develop and leverage innovative solutions across GSB (e.g., Indigo, Large Format, Specialty Printing Solutions, Graphics Solutions Services)
This position is located in Corvallis or San Diego.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
* Software and Firmware leadership experience
* Leadership experience in industrial markets
* Ability to collaborate and provide leadership with Hardware developers, Marketing, Operations, WW Sales, and Services
* Business acumen and organizational savvy
* Ability to lead change and adapt to a changing business environment
* Proven track record in execution (i.e., in a leadership role)
* Strong verbal/written/presentation skills
* Leadership to drive organization effectiveness and efficiency
* 8 years of experience in R&D and/or NPI roles, ideally with time in Graphics business
* 4 years of management experience preferred
* Experience with management of agile development teams strongly preferred
* Previous knowledge of digital printing platforms (e.g., ink/toner, print heads, HW, SW/FW, electronics, writing systems, coatings, etc.)
* Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, Computer Science
* Ability to relocate to Corvallis, Oregon or San Diego, California.
* >/= 25% domestic and international travel, willing to work across multiple time zones
Knowledge and Skills:
* Advanced leadership skills, including coaching, teambuilding, conflict resolution, and management.
* Advanced project management skills including time and risk management, resource prioritization, and project structuring.
* Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
* Experienced in managing human capital across geographies to drive workforce development and achieve desired results.
* Advanced communication skills catered to a wide variety of audiences. (e.g. written, verbal, presentation); mastery in English and local language.
* Superior business acumen, technical knowledge of multiple business units, and extensive knowledge in applications and technologies.
* Advanced multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
* Advanced relationship management skills, including partnering and consulting.
* Strong understanding of HP's policies and processes.
HP is a company providing personal computing and other access devices, imaging and printing products, and related technologies, solutions, and services.