At HP, talent is our criteria. Join us in reinventing the standard for diversity and inclusion. Bring your awesomeness, and just be you!
The Connectivity End team develops software, firmware, and tools to measure current connectivity reliability, to improve that reliability, and to reduce customer frustration when connectivity problems happen with consumer HP printers. This includes tools to test and assess the reliability of printers when common customer use cases are performed in a variety of wireless environments. It also includes changes to both software and firmware to improve reliability, try to self-correct when problems happen, and to provide better insight into how well HP printers are performing in the field (with respect to connection issues). This team is chartered with solving a business problem that is important to HP's printer business rather than being a traditional software or firmware asset team.
Working in such a team provides opportunities to learn and work on a broad range of technologies from emerging wireless and networking protocols to data science, and to work in different programming domains from embedded systems to mobile app development. It is a perfect place for someone who likes variety, the challenge of learning new things, figuring out what needs to be done instead of being told what to do, and knowing their effort has a direct impact on business results.
This person will initially work on tools for testing and analysis of wireless connectivity issues, and will work in an existing team of three other software engineers working on the same tools, who are a subset of the overall connectivity end to end team. This is an agile team working off a backlog managed by a product owner using two-week sprints led by a scrum master. This team is highly empowered to decide how they accomplish the work and how much they commit to each sprint, as the team decisions are in line with the priorities set by the backlog. The tools are written in Python.
After becoming familiar with wireless connectivity issues through working on the tools team, other opportunities to work on backlog items dealing with mobile app development, firmware development, and data analytics will be available.
* Experience in software and/or firmware development in C/C++, Java, and/or Python
* Excellent teamwork skills and ability to quickly develop constructive working relationships with new people
* Experience working in a structured software engineering environment, including requirements and defect tracking systems, static analysis tools, design and code inspections, and unit testing
* Ability to work with broadly (and sometimes vaguely) defined requirements, investigating and filling in details as needed
* Excellent specification and documentation skills
* Desire to follow a test-driven development process, continuously building in quality and integrating within the larger system
* Understanding of networking technologies and Wi-Fi is a plus.
* Knowledge of agile development methods and processes is a plus.
HP is a company providing personal computing and other access devices, imaging and printing products, and related technologies, solutions, and services.