The Office Media Group has a simple vision - to empower a billion customers to achieve more with media. The team builds services, applications, and experiences that bring the power of media, including photos, video, and more to every customer of Office.
Within OMG, we are Microsoft Stream, a rapidly growing, AI-powered video sharing service delivered by a team of passionate and dedicated engineers who are working to build premier video services for the enterprise. This is done by combining advanced video streaming technologies, like Azure Media Services, with cutting edge machine learning and AI technologies such as Azure Cognitive Services. Do you have the right skills to write and maintain services? Are you experienced in video streaming, editing or processing? Are you ready to be part of the media revolution?
In Stream, action is valued highly over discussion, and responsibility for product decisions is placed at the front lines of the team. The team is diverse, humble and self-critical, and learn from both our successes and our failures. The culture within Stream is one of equal opportunity and where having fun together and working collaboratively is as important as the code we deliver - we can achieve much more together than we can as individuals.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering
* 10 years of experience using a modern OO programming language
* Excellent problem solving and debugging skills
* Excellent design and programming skills
* Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check. This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter
Preferred you have experience with one or more of these technologies:
* Popular modern UI frameworks like Angular JS and React
* Large scale cloud services implemented on top of the Azure suite of services
* Comfortable learning and growing in a fast paced, start-up-like environment.
* Consistent track record of being a strong customer advocate and creative problem solver
* Ability to quickly ramp up, understand complex problems, and create solutions across many products
* Passion for both systems design and cloud infrastructure
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form. OMG Team
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
This position is for an Engineer on the Stream team to develop new features, improve performance and drive down costs of goods shipped (COGS) for the service. Our service is a set of highly performing, distributed, highly available and resilient systems. It has to scale from a few thousands of very active users to millions of lightly active users so your skills in choosing the right design will be challenged heavily. Your responsibility will be to analyze, design and implement improvements while reducing COGS and drive those changes across a big product group. You should have strong analytical, design, and development skills with depth in networking, databases, storage, high performance data structures and algorithms and a passion for analyzing and improving performance - I/O, memory, CPU, concurrency. It is important to have a strong development background, excellent interpersonal skills, and a strong foundation in Computer Science. Lastly, because the work is done in conjunction with teams across Office, skills in persuasion are key to success.
Some of the other responsibilities that you would have include:
* Have well-thought-out designs that take into account scale, performance, and maintainability
* Implement high quality code that needs little attention after completion
* Lead overall architecture choices for areas of the product
* Work closely and coordinate with partner teams to accomplish your tasks
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.