Service Engineer 2
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Security boundaries have changed, and identity is the new perimeter. With such a shift, there is a strong emphasis on carefully analyzing, and in many cases, hitting Refresh on the components that comprise the enterprise identity and access management platforms as we know them.
Microsoft is seeking an identity focused service engineer to join the Digital Security & Risk Engineering (DSRE) organization as we undergo the journey to ensure that the right identities get access to the right resources at the right time, protected each step of the way.
With your experience in Identity Services such as Azure (including Azure AD), federation, strong authentication, and overall service health, you will help steer our own identity-centric digital transformation and support hundreds of thousands of employees as they seek to empower every person on the planet to accomplish more. Identity Site Reliability Engineering is a hybrid, production-oriented discipline combining deep software engineering and systems skills. As experts in reliability engineering, SREs are typically responsible for improving service availability, latency, scalability, performance, and efficiency; they remove toil from service management, and take ownership for changing production state, monitoring, incident response, and capacity planning. SREs take a holistic approach across client and server: they understand the dependencies both between and within services and drive continuous improvement across them. They care about the user experience and improve business outcomes as the business unit itself defines them. SRE as a discipline improves things via engineering first and foremost, rather than being a primarily reactive function.
* 3+ years working on PowerShell/Scripting Knowledge, Windows Services infrastructure to automate day to day activities.
* 2+ years Programming knowledge of .net and C#.
* 3+ years knowledge of SQL database.
* 3+ yeas adn expert-level knowledge on identity technologies: Azure Active Directory, Active Directory, Federation Services, Replication
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience
* Working/understanding of IAM (identity access management) Tools, Like MIM
* Experience in supporting engineering/supporting Multi-Factor Authentication
* Extensive troubleshooting/debug experience
* Ability to understand and use the underlying platforms, infrastructure, or frameworks for a given service/system/product.
* Ability to understand, and reason about, interactions between complex systems.
* Solid understanding of the specific ways in which distributed systems fail, as opposed to code monoliths.
* Solid understanding of monitoring, alerting, and observability philosophies and best practices.
* Ability to analyze, decompose, design, and integrate systems or systems architectures.
* Ability to write tools, automation, and enhancements in arbitrary subcomponents of services/products to deliver and manage software in production (both around services, and within them).
* Ability to context-switch and effectively balance many competing priorities within many different scopes: quarters, weeks, hours.
* Ability to advocate for a well-defined customer experience, and bias towards implementing SLOs and measurements to achieve this.
* Highly adaptable to changing circumstances; able to put the right amount of structure on ambiguous and fluid situations, perhaps with contradictory information.
* Collaborating first and foremost; ability to exercise cross-team co-operation and influence.
* Ability to have empathy for any customer or partner and keep a higher-level perspective.
Broadly speaking, an SRE team instantiates the feedback loop of continual improvement for a product.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Provide technical engineering for a cross-functional, highly visible, operations team supporting the Identity platform for Microsoft's corporate network.
* Identify opportunities and drive the implementation of automation to improve service health, manageability, reliability and telemetry.
* Own, triage, investigate and resolve service issues with an emphasis on broad communications, learning & teaching throughout the process
* Read, write, configure, design, and script end-to-end service telemetry, alerting and self-healing capabilities for platforms.
* Author functional and technical documentation. Communicate on a deeply technical level with product engineering, project management and operations teams to improve and optimize products, improve infrastructure, and evolve services.
* Remain current on new technologies, methods and procedures including, but not limited to, coding practices such as Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Deployment.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.