Job CategoryProducts and Technology
Principal Performance Engineer
Do you thrive on building innovative software that enables engineers to be more productive and identify software performance bottlenecks and regressions through cutting edge simulations or monitoring? Does the sound of distributed automation, data fingerprinting, time-correlation, intelligent alerting, data skew, waterfall charts, instrumentation, and custom profilers get your creative juices flowing? Want to build those at a scale larger than you've ever thought possible?
If you are fueled by the challenges of deep diving into large scale applications spanning diverse technology stack, then the Salesforce Search Performance Team is the place for you. You will be excited to think innovatively for our scalability and latency needs, from mobile and browsers to systems and storage and you'll get a chance to work with the latest cloud technologies.
Join a growing team operating in one of the hottest technology space to deliver real-time business intelligence for making faster data-driven decisions. As a Principal Performance Engineer, you'll work closely with the development teams and will be expected to provide input into the architecture and scalability of various components. The performance engineer will focus on identifying, fixing and preventing performance bottlenecks in a multi-tier and massively parallel infrastructure. The performance engineer will design benchmarks, methodology and analysis tools to be adopted cloud-wide, evangelize and support performance work throughout the engineering team and across the industry.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for Performance and can take on performance analysis and code optimization challenges across multi-tiers and multi-data centers with focus in one or more of the areas below:
* End-to-End Performance Analysis: Analyze large scale distributed environments and optimize search performance bottlenecks in our application stack.
* Coding and Developing skills: Develop and Debug code to identify and fix performance issues
* Capacity Planning & Optimization: Capacity planning of 9000+ search servers and projection planning for huge customers. I/O,RAM capacity analysis is a major factor.
* Evangelize Performance: Own and drive the performance initiatives
* Automation tools for Performance: Design and build efficient process and automation to repeat tests for every build. Detect regression on production pods.
Minimal Required Skills:
* BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent practical experience
* 8+ years in a performance engineering role analyzing, troubleshooting and automating performance workloads on large scale systems
* 5+ years of experience as a developer building platforms and applications
* 5+ years of experience to build automation tools utilizing CI/CD pipelines.
* Coding experience in Java, C, Python, Ruby on Rails
* Deep knowledge of Java and its internals (e.g. JVM performance tuning, GC mechanisms, etc.) and Familiarity with Java Profiling (e.g. JProfiler, YourKit)
* Outstanding attention to detail and communication skills.
* Experience with search platforms such Lucene, Solr or ElasticSearch a plus
* Experience identifying bottlenecks across various layers of web application stacks (client, network, backend)
* Experience working and optimizing large scale distributed applications on public cloud.
* Experience building frameworks from scratch and driving architecture design for testability.
* Expert level understanding of the key performance metrics associated with throughput, latency, memory, CPU, disk & network and the ability to debug bottlenecks associated with any of them
* Object oriented programming experience and knowledge of modular designs
* Familiarity with NoSQL data stores and transport systems such as Spark, Storm, Cassandra, Kafka is a plus
* Hands-on experience in load testing testing tools like Jmeter, Loadrunner, Tauras and other open source tools.
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. The company was founded on three disruptive ideas: a new technology model in cloud computing, a pay-as-you-go business model, and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model. These founding principles have taken our company to great heights, including being named one of Forbes's "World's Most Innovative Company" five years in a row and one of Fortune's "100 Best Companies to Work For" eight years in a row. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, and this level of growth equals incredible opportunities to grow a career at Salesforce. Together, with our whole Ohana (Hawaiian for "family") made up of our employees, customers, partners and communities, we are working to improve the state of the world.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Salesforce is a cloud computing company that develops CRM solutions and provides business software on a subscription basis.